VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HordePrime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am playing a game that comes with 2 CDROM disks. Disk 1 is required to launch the game, but after a while it asks you to insert the second disk. The disks have different names so how can I get around this if I can only mount one specific disk name at a time?

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 12, by HordePrime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:
HordePrime wrote:
Qbix wrote:

ctrl-f4

Yes...? What does that do?

http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#SpecialKeys

Ok, thanks, but I'm still gonna need more information...

Is there some rule here that says you can only answer a post with one word maximum?

I've looked through the FAQ and stuff and still don't get it. I just want a simple, plain English, jargon free example of everything I need to type in order to solve my problem. Do I need to copy the contents of the second CD onto my hard drive first for example...?

Reply 5 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, you just mount your cd rom drive, without giving the name parameter. Then when you need to switch, switch and hit ctrl-f4.
The reason for the short answers is that this stuff is written in the readme

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You don't pass the name parameter along and try if that works.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 12, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MOUNT D <Letter>:\ -t cdrom
Replace <Letter> with your CD drive letter.
Swap discs when prompted then press Ctrl+F4.

If using an ISO or BIN/CUE set.
IMGMOUNT D "<Path>\<Image-1>" "<Path>\<Image-2>" -t cdrom
press Ctrl+F4 when prompted to swap discs.

Reply 9 of 12, by HordePrime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still can't get it.

Let's assume I have two disks; DISKONE and DISKTWO.

Normally, when I mount a cdrom, I type:
mount D "/Volumes/DISKONE" -t cdrom -iocl

How do I alter that, and/or what else do I need to type in order to get it to switch to DISKTWO when I want?

Reply 10 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So you are not on Windows but on linux or OSX? Then I'd advise to make bin images with cue sheets of the CDs and use the imgmount command as Skard suggests.
For making the images I'd recommend using a Windows machine or VM and use Alcohol 120% for this job (the trial version works fine for this). There is no good program for this on Linux it seems.

Reply 11 of 12, by HordePrime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

So you are not on Windows but on linux or OSX? Then I'd advise to make bin images with cue sheets of the CDs and use the imgmount command as Skard suggests.
For making the images I'd recommend using a Windows machine or VM and use Alcohol 120% for this job (the trial version works fine for this). There is no good program for this on Linux it seems.

Ok, I think I understood about two words in that.

I'm on Mac OS X, perhaps I should have said that before but I didn't think it was relevant.

Are you saying that it can't be done?

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The more information you give right away the more precise the answers might be 😉
In this case your OS would have been very helpfull. One always assimes that only Windows users neglect to mention their OS 😉

Ok, it can't be done without resorting to making images (like an iso if you know that - just that we better don't make an iso but bin images) of your CDs. If you have no idea what I'm talking about you might be better off with Boxer, an OS X port of DOSBox that brings several enhancements useful to OSX users. I think it either offers a way to make images of your CDs or a way to switch CD Rom mountings. I'm not using it so I'm not that sure, though.
Be warned though, when you use boxer you have to direct your further problems at the boxer author. Since it is not lock stock DOSBox we mostly refuse to help with boxer questions since we can't know whether a problem is just caused by boxers enhancements.