VOGONS

Common searches

DosBox's PC speaker is terrible

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah...I'm not feeling the PC speaker on Dosbox. It screeches strangely. In fact, since it's an electromechanical device, I don't quite see how it can be emulated at all (besides using its resources).

The PC speaker has limited tones obviously, but it doesn't screech. I'm not really sure what the sampling rate means for it...

I almost prefer to use my modern motherboard's miniaturized version (which does the correct notes, but the wrong volume and the tone is...well, it's just a terrible speaker). But, Dosbox can't use it AFAIK.

Comments?

Reply 2 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Increasing the speaker rate (and mixer rate to match) may improve the sound quality. I have both set to 48000, and it sounds fairly good on my soundcard in most cases. Please name any specific games that sound bad.

There are some uses of the speaker for digitized sound that aren't fully supported in official source (yet), but there is an unofficial patch that has improved support.

@Joey_sw: MP3PC is working for me in 0.74 with default settings, but it seems to be picky about the MP3 files it will play. I've had the most success with CBR 44.1kHz, but haven't really pinned down its limitations.
edit: seems it has a problem with some ID3 tags. I'm not sure what specifically it doesn't like, because some files with tags play OK, but I'm able to get all previously non-playing files to work by removing their tags.

Reply 5 of 6, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

@Joey_sw: MP3PC is working for me in 0.74 with default settings, but it seems to be picky about the MP3 files it will play. I've had the most success with CBR 44.1kHz, but haven't really pinned down its limitations.
edit: seems it has a problem with some ID3 tags. I'm not sure what specifically it doesn't like, because some files with tags play OK, but I'm able to get all previously non-playing files to work by removing their tags.

Thanks for your information, with it i also managed to get the MP3PC to play the MP3 files that previously not working.

It seem the MP3PC doesn't like the newer ID3v2 tags,
by removing it (ID3v1 tag was intact) the MP3PC works for most MP3 i've.

-fffuuu

Reply 6 of 6, by JosteinTopland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How to improve the PC speaker sound in DOSBox.
1) Get DOSBox ECE (aka the improved DOSBox)
2) Open the conf file, typically under c:\Users\Myself\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-ECE.conf
3) set [mixer] rate to 48000
4) set [mixer] blocksize to 2048
5) set [speaker] pcrate to 48000

The above is typically the preferred setup for a moden PC in terms of audio settings.