VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I have a question I tryed to install Age of empires 1 but realised it was not a DOS game so I was unable to open it in Dosbox. I know you can install windows 95/98 by creating a .img file and play it through there but My question is.
- Is there another way to play games like that without the need to install a windows OS and run it through that?

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you ar on linux or os x the only other way is to install WINE.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by Dasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No im using windows 7, but age of empires 1 is not a DOS game, and there for dosbox wont play it. But you can install a vitual windows 98 through dosbox and then install age of empires on to that windows 98 by mounting it with commands like
c: /Aoe/aoe.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,16,1021
boot -l c

but it is slow in performence, thats why I was wondering if there is a way to play Age of empires in dosbox withouth installning old windows.

Reply 3 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

no, there is no other way in dosbox.
BUT don't do it through dosbox, do it through a proper VirtualMachine, like XP mode, or Vmware or Virtualbox...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper