VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm installing Windows 95 on Dosbox (Windows 7 Pro host system). As it's setting up the Control Panel, I am consistently getting a "fatal exception 0E at 137:BFF9A07C" error. I have tried disabling things (like the sound card and NIC) in the configuration, but nothing has worked so far.

When I ran it in Debug mode, it identified "IRET: illegal descriptor Type 125 Int 15 BIOS" which suggests that it's running into an IRQ problem (maybe? I'm great with Windows, not so great dealing with hardware).

Help?

Reply 1 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try booting in safe mode and delete/disable the "Plug 'n Play" device in Device Manager. It should let you do this even when you don't complete the install.

Also cputype=pentium should help as well.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 25, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, by booting into safe mode and removing all of the possible problem children from Device Manager (in system devices and sound, video and game controllers) I was finally able to boot to the desktop ... where it freezes with a constant hourglass.

I *think* it's one of the devices that's causing the problem, and am pursuing it on that end, and will continue to update this thread as I go.

By the way, the Dosbox console reported that Pentium_slow was an invalid configuration choice, and automatically changed it to auto.

Reply 14 of 25, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The video driver was the culprit. I changed it to Standard SVGA, and it booted up just fine.

Now it's just a matter of tweaking and experimenting (Yay!).

BTW, can anyone suggest a way to access files through a Dosbox Win95 machine? If I burn a CD, 9 times out of 10 it won't read it in Win95 ... grrrrr ... and Win95 doesn't recognize USB (never has) ... and I don't have a floppy on my current machine (motherboard doesn't even have an IDE controller) ... and it won't recognize the NIC on the host machine ...

Reply 15 of 25, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suggest you to use Win98 instead of Win95; in my experience you'll get much less troubles, probably due to newer drivers. Win98 bundled video drivers always worked fine.

Set cputype=pentium_slow and cycles=max for the best results. Use these option for installing AND for running windows.

At this moment there's no way to transfer files between host and guest machine with dosbox. I use Winimage to edit disk images.

Reply 16 of 25, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not meaning to cross talk or incorrectly start a new thread, but:

You mentioned Winimage, so I downloaded it and tried to load in the image file I'm using for DosBox. First, it doesn't show any files at all, even though it has the complete Win95 OS on it; secondly, if I try to import a file or folder, it keeps telling me that it can't because the "image is full" (while the properties for the image show almost 2GB free).

Have you ever run into that? And do you know if it can be corrected and,if so, how?

(And please see my comment to Robertmo re: "Pentium_slow" ... )