VOGONS

Dosbox "Fatal Exception" with Windows 95

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

O.K., I consider my hand properly and thoroughly slapped (ow!) and have gone back to DOSBox 0.74 (the most recent version I could find). It apparently can't open the image file I fought so hard to create (hangs when it's trying to boot), so maybe I should start from scratch.

I'd like to create an image that is maybe 2GB in size as my boot image for DOSBox/Win95. Can someone please suggest a good (preferably freeware) editor to do this? (This is why I went with Megabuild 6 - there are tools available for it that let me create the image originally ... and then, stupidly, I forgot to keep track of what, when, and where ... )

Reply 21 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can start with the empty disk images attached to Windows 9x DOSBox Guide (Not officially supported) .

Disk Explorer is freeware and often used to edit images. OSFMount is another alternative that gets mentioned on occasion.

P.S. Apparently most of the Megabuild features are include in ykhwong's builds if you need them.

Reply 22 of 25, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the link, but now I have a different problem:

DOSBox wants all of the details of the virtual HD (cylinders, heads, etc.) - how can I get all of this from an image?

(I realize this may be answered somewhere else, and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction ... )

Reply 23 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suggest you re-examine the aforementioned link.

You know, like the part that says

imgmount 2 2gbfreedos.img -t hdd -fs none -size 512,63,64,1023

Reply 24 of 25, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

... sorry, found that *just* before you posted, but couldn't post this in time ...

Reply 25 of 25, by jspyder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And, that (as they say) is that.

Thanks again, folks. I got Win95 up and running in DOSBox ... I just had to follow the instructions ... (what an amazing concept!). Everything appears to be working just fine (so far).

I'll open a new thread if I run into any additional problems.