VOGONS

DOS + Voodoo2 in DosBox

Topic actions

First post, by truth_deleted

User metadata

ADDITION: As Kekko helpfully posted below, full Voodoo2 emulation is not implemented in the current code. However, the list of DOS Voodoo2 games does not include any which are Voodoo2-specific:
Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

In fact, apart from performance, the list includes just two games which take advantage of the Voodoo2 device: GTA and Shadow Warrior. Both will function at a higher resolution using this device. My hope is that the attached test build can enable the higher resolution in these two games, and therefore provide all the major benefits of DOS gaming with a Voodoo2 (excluding performance). When testing, it may help to try a copy of glide2x.ovl from the Voodoo2 driver set, in addition to the one already included with Daum's build.

[IGNORE THIS PARAGRAPH] It appears that Kekko has kindly provided a virtual Voodoo2 (edit: Voodoo1) device for DosBox. It has been activated in the attached test build, which is a modified Daum build. However, I have no games to test whether it is truly functioning as a Voodoo2. Please verify, and if it is, then it may be possible to expand the video memory further. [\IGNORE THIS PARAGRAPH]

It is strongly recommended to newly install Daum's build into a directory and then overwrite with the files contained in the attached ZIP. The executable may be renamed to DosBox.exe. The five DLL files are required. Note that the fluidsynth and SDL_sound libraries are not active. I would mainly test with this configuration: fullresolution=original, output=openglnb, voodoo=opengl, glide=emu. The fullscreen option may be set to true or false.

Last edited by truth_deleted on 2013-06-16, 02:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should provide sources for every test build you do (for GPL compliance)

just sayin'

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Increasing video memory does not make of that card a voodoo2. Many pieces of voodoo2 emulator are missing.

Reply 3 of 7, by truth_deleted

User metadata
kekko wrote:

Increasing video memory does not make of that card a voodoo2. Many pieces of voodoo2 emulator are missing.

Thank you once again for the information! I edited the parent post to reflect this. The only advantage of having a voodoo2, at least from my impression, is for the DirectX6 driver; and even then, perhaps the Voodoo2 driver set would not run many more games than the Voodoo1 and its driver set.

Reply 4 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're forgetting about the texture units and the ability to multitexture. That was a big deal for the Voodoo2 and is a big part of that "2" like the SLI.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 7, by truth_deleted

User metadata
leileilol wrote:

You're forgetting about the texture units and the ability to multitexture. That was a big deal for the Voodoo2 and is a big part of that "2" like the SLI.

Please name the DOS games which take advantage of multitexturing.

Reply 6 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Screamer Rally AFAIK. There are two 3dfx .exes - 2nd is Voodoo2 only.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 7, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

Screamer Rally AFAIK. There are two 3dfx .exes - 2nd is Voodoo2 only.

I guess that was provided just for compatibility reasons. Screamer Rally just needs a voodoo1 card with 2mb for textures.