Common searches

First post, by Amano_Jyaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My setup:
Intel Mac Mini (Core 2 Duo 2.26, 2GB RAM) with OS X 10.6.3
Roland SC-55MkII
The SC-55 is connected to the Mac Mini using a MIDI-USB-Adaptor by logilink. The adaptor is supposed to be OS X compatible and it is visible in the audio-midi-setup of OS X.

In the dosbox configuration file I set the mididevice to "coremidi". And games do indeed output sound to the SC-55, but I does not sound "right". I had the impression that some instruments are not played with the right volume, some sounds are not played at all.

Then I connected the SC-55 to my Windows machine using the same usb-adaptor (and dosbox 0.74) and everything sounds perfect.

A good example would be Space Quest V. On OS X the sierra fanfare drops in volume after 1 second. When you start a new game, you cannot hear the squeeking of the rats running away from the simulator. And the music which should be played when Wilco walks out of the room is not played at all (the usb-adaptor indicates that midi data is being sent, but the sc-55 does not react). On Windows: fine.

Using mididevice=coreaudio is error free on OS X, but this is of course not what I want to use 😀

Any hints how I could find out if it is a problem with my equipment or with dosbox?

Reply 2 of 14, by Amano_Jyaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Argh, of course I forgot to test that. Ok, since Quicktime does not allow to output midi data to an external device, I downloaded the ""Sweet MIDI Player" for OS X. I additionally downloaded some Sierra GM soundtracks from QuestStudios.com (including the first bits of music and sound effects from Space Quest V).

Well, as far I can tell, the midis sound absolutely perfect on the SC-55. No unexpected volume changes, no missing or wrong instruments (on the SQ5 file I can hear the rats squeeking and the "out-of-the-room" music).

Reply 4 of 14, by Amano_Jyaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I did a little bit of testing the last days and found out the following.
1. In all games the before mentioned problems occurs.
2. The problem is not exclusively dosbox related.

I tested the sc-55 with 3 Sierra Games (SQ5, Police Quest 4 and Leisure Suit Larry 6) and one non-Sierra game (Kyrandia 2). In all games the music is plagued by missing instruments, wrong instruments or wrong volume of some instruments.
But the problem does not occur reliable every time (though it is very easy to trigger by just passing some screens). For example in Police Quest 4 when I enter a location the music could be completely messed up. But there is always a good chance that when I re-enter the location for the second time the music will be completely fine.

I also downloaded ScummVM and tested Kyrandia 2 with it. Same problem.

But I also did a retesting on Windows with ScummVM, Dosbox, the games I mentioned, the same sc-55, the same midi-usb-adaptor and...I could never trigger the wrong behavior I experience on OS X.

Reply 5 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

for the sake of testing. Try with a low cycle value.
DOSBox doesn't buffer the midi data. It just outputs it to the host at the speed it receives it.
Some drivers allow themselves to loose data depending on the driver.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 14, by Amano_Jyaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I tried different cycle values. Again with the beginning of SQ5 because the problem there was reproducible every time I tried. I first tried it with 4000 Cycles. Same Problem. 2000 Cycles. Same problem. At last I went down to 500 Cycles. This did not solve the problem completely either, but the music got noticeably better (no squeeking rats, but the Sierra fanfare did not drop in volume and the "walk-out-of-the-room"-music got played).

BTW: I did not install a special driver for this adaptor (and there is no driver available on the logilink website). It uses the USB-Midi-Driver-Plugin which is available in OS X out-of-the-box.

Reply 8 of 14, by Amano_Jyaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure. But before I play a game in such an tedious way, I will just turn on my windows machine. You know, I just want to get it to work in OS X.

If it is a problem of the driver then everybody running OS X in combination with a sc-55 would have the same problem.

If it is a problem of the adaptor I will happily buy another one if I know for sure if it will work.

I was hoping that some guys here would raise their fingers because they have a similar setup. But it seems that I am a rare species with my setup 😒

Reply 10 of 14, by Amano_Jyaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I was very busy the last days.

And apologies, I think I was a bit to quick in concluding that running the game at low cycle values solves the problem. Looks like it was pure coincidence. I tested now quite a bit and there is no noticeably difference, the music is always messed up.

However, I decided to buy another usb-midi-device (one that gets delivered with his own device driver). I will report back as soon as it arrives and then post my results.

Reply 11 of 14, by Ragh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I came here to revive this old thread because I have the same problems here. I am running OS X 10.8.4 with a SC-55 and Boxer (Dosbox). The only game I tried and want to play is Betrayal at Krondor and the music is totally off. I also have tried with two different usb-midi adapters to no avail.

Did anyone experience this issues and perhaps found a fix?

Reply 12 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You need to use dosbox at least. Boxer is not supported

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Boxer uses a modified version of dosbox, that's why boxer is not supported.
Now with dosbox try different midi settings in the preference file.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper