VOGONS

Non-Gaming Applications.

Topic actions

First post, by Crimsonite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see a thread on here that says DosBox is no good for non-gaming apps. Well that's just bullcrap. I started a novel twenty two years ago on an old AT computer running Dos 6.2 and the Q&A2 word processor. After many years when everything associated with that computer was obsolete, it was stolen. All I had left was the old Ditto Easy QIC tape backup with the App and files on it. Recently I found an old AT with Win 98 on it, and found a Ditto Easy. Amazingly the tape was still good and I restored Q&A2 and the files. Then I copied everything and moved it to my new laptop. Immediately I went to DosBox and mounted the drive and ran the .bat file that is necessary to run Q&A2. It ran perfectly and still does so that I am able to complete my novel. In case you are wondering why all the trouble - it is impossible to get Q&A anymore, anywhere; and no modern word processor will read Q&A files.

Reply 1 of 2, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is not that it can't run some applications, but it is not complete in terms of features that many applications need, like SHARE, or the ability to set/configure the CONFIG.SYS. Many things are missing on purpose speed or reducing unneeded complexity. There are liability reasons to discourage people from using DOSBox over emulators/virtualizers better suited for the job. This does not mean that you cannot use it for apps, just don't ask for help when things go wrong.

Last edited by collector on 2014-04-21, 16:05. Edited 1 time in total.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed, it is not so much that DOSBox is no good for non-gaming apps; it's just not a good idea to trust it for mission-critical jobs.

Q&A has come up here before. What about Sesame Database Manager?