VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eaglebtc

User metadata

I play an game called "Epic Pinball" in which sound effects are panned from left to right, depending on how far from the center of the table they originate from. The flippers are panned hard left and hard right.

In my headphones, however, the stereo channels sound backwards, i.e.: the left flipper is sounding from the right side, and vice-versa. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX, with a Pentium 4 @ 2.6GHz OC'ed to 3.2GHz. DOSBox CPU is "Normal" with 10,000 cycles. Sound quality set to defaults (SB16: 22Khz, Stereo, 220h / IRQ 7 / DMA 1)

I only noticed this problem today; I tested Doom 2 and the stereo channels sound correctly panned (bad guys shooting sounds from the correct side).

Is there an easy way to swap the stereo channels?

Reply 2 of 7, by Guest

User metadata

This one does not. I checked the SETUP.EXE again; it has support for Gravis Ultrasound with 16-bit audio, which I will try next. Also includes Sound Blaster, all flavors, but only 8 bit (mono and stereo).

There is no "swap stereo channels" ; you're thinking of the later software like Duke Nukem 3D and Blood that use DOS4GW. I know with 99% certainty that *those* games supported swapping the stereo channels from SETUP.

Reply 4 of 7, by eaglebtc

User metadata

Sorry I forget to keep signing my posts. Just wanted to say one more thing:

Thanks to the author for writing such good Ultrasound drivers! DOSBox hasn't been this smooth since I started using it.

Anther note: to be honest, the whole game just feels "slower." The music is essentially MOD files: the pitch of the individual samples doesn't change, but the tempo could certainly be affected by a lower clock speed. I tried adjusting the CPU up and down from 500 to 20,000 cycles with no effect on tempo. On my setup (P4 @ 3.2GHz) I estimate that range to be between 2Mhz and 80Mhz.

Also, the levels are at times overdriven, causing crackling in the speakers. This could be Epic's fault, though.

Still, despite these minor flaws, DOSBOX ROX!! 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem with the left/right panning is because Creative didn't really make a left/right standard for Soundblaster PRO. Quite annoying. Some Soundblaster PRO have it one way, and other PRO cards have it the other way. Another reason why Soundblaster16 is better.

Reply 7 of 7, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

True 😀 What I meant is that most stereo games have support for Soundblaster PRO and Soundblaster 16, so by picking Soundblaster 16 (and having a SB16 compatible card) one is sure to get the right left/right speaker sound.