VOGONS

Get CD-ROM faster

Topic actions

First post, by Ben

User metadata

I've got a question: There are a lot of games which need the CD-ROM Mode of DOS Box. But in some games the mode is to slow. How can I get it faster?

Reply 1 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I have no idea what are you talking about ...

You can use mounted image on harddisk in CD emulator (like Daemon Tools) and mount that virtual CD ... I do not know whether this answers your question, if not, then explain it better.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

Ok, I will try to explain it better: I want to install the game "Star Trek - A Final Unity". To install this game, you need CD-Rom support in DOS mode. You can only install it from DOS because the game is too old to make this from windows.
If I re-boot my computer with a boot-disk which supports CD-ROM in DOS the system-check says that everything is ok. (memory ... and so on) But my Harddisk is in NTFS Mode and so I can't install it because the game can't read NTFS. Thats why I tried it to install with DOS Box. But here the system-check says that my cd-Rom Drive don't have enough speed. I don't know why. Maybe it will help if I change some CPU settings in DOS Box?

Reply 3 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ok, so you cannot install because the installer complains that the CD ROM is too slow. Is not there possibility to ignore this? Such checks are usually just warnings.
If not, then try what I wrote above: do the CD image (for example in CloneCD or BlindWrite etc.), mount it in Daemon Tools (or another CD emulator) and mount that virtual CD in DOSBOX. The speed of that virtual CD will be much bigger than the speed of the physical drive.
If this does not help either, it means that there is some weird routine checking the speed which is probably not handled well by DOSBOX Try changing speed of DOSBOX (CTRL F11, CTRL F12). It may ar may not help.

And one last comment: DOSBOX is DOSBOX, not DOS Box. 😀

Mirek

Reply 4 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Might also be that the cdrom is too fast since the transfers in dosbox are instant and then it could overflow the value, i think 7th guest had problems with this and you needed to slow down dosbox to get it working.

Reply 5 of 5, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the case of 7th Guest MSCDEX wasn`t being detected by the game altogether which is why that game doesn`t work (atleast for me anyway).

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest