VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tiltowait

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having a problem with extreme slowness with DOSbox. I'm playing a DOS game and it is really slow to start when launched from the command line. When I do other things and then ALT-Tab back to it, it seems to take a while to get going. When I go into the city build screen, it takes a while to regain control. In addition, it is taking 10-30 seconds to regain control when I make the game fullscreen and take it out again with ALT-Enter. I'll just get a blank screen and an unresponsive system until DOSbox is done doing whatever it is doing.

I used to have perfectly good performance when going in and out of fullscreen. I've altered the CPU cycles and the game runs faster, so it isn't a CPU cycles issue. My other programs don't have problems in this way. The computer is a Toshiba Satellite C805 and my dosbox.conf is attached. Thanks for any help anyone can give! 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-0.74.conf
    File size
    10.86 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiltowait wrote:

I used to have perfectly good performance when going in and out of fullscreen. I've altered the CPU cycles and the game runs faster, so it isn't a CPU cycles issue. My other programs don't have problems in this way. The computer is a Toshiba Satellite C805 and my dosbox.conf is attached. Thanks for any help anyone can give! 😀

What kind of video card does that thing have? Are the drivers up to date?
You'll say you don't have any, but have you checked for virii and malware lately? No...the resident shield of whatever antivirus you have is never enough. Is your HDD fine or is it already crying sectors? (Crystal disk info helps finding that out). Sorry, but I'm rather sure the problem's on your end.