VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I found Robocod on an abandonware site (if it's ill advised to talk about such here, then I'm sorry.) and decided to give it a go, since I loved it so much as a child. Game's running smooth as butter in DOSBox and it is as fun as I remember it.

However though, I can't exit the game. If I play and press ESC the game takes me back to the start screen with all the penguins.
If I press ESC here, the screen just restarts.

My conf file isn't really that much tweaked. Just the autoexec function so I can run it with my shortcut.

CONF wrote:
@echo off mount c ".." c: cls call robocod.bat exit […]
Show full quote

@echo off
mount c ".."
c:
cls
call robocod.bat
exit

shortcut wrote:

-conf "..\robocod.conf" -noconsole -c exit

Any ideas?
For now I have to alt+enter and exit it that way.

Reply 1 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Abandonware is pretty much a no no here. It is not just the legal issues, but abandonware is very often ripped, hacked, cracked in ways that introduce bugs that the original games never had, often making it impossible for people with legitimate copies to reproduce.

The usual response is to advise to ask where the game was downloaded.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yup, no abandonware discussions 😉
But one thing, some games are not supposed to be shut down, only with the shut down of the computer.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper