VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tiltowait

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been on a real crusade lately with regards to MIDI music. 😊 A ton of games supported it, and it is leaps and bounds better than the old tinny soundblaster. I've been trying to convert people to use MIDI, but I am continually stymied by the reluctance of people to open (or even find) dosbox.conf. There is one line that needs to be changed: midiconfig= should be changed to midiconfig=0. That's it! This is such a trivial change that I wonder why it isn't enabled by default, the same as soundblaster support. The sound is SO much better, and people are really missing out. 😢

It's not an issue with munt having to be installed, as I get MIDI:Opened device:win32 on my Windows laptop and MIDI works automatically. I realize that other platforms might not enjoy this advantage, but why not enable MIDI by default for the people who can use it? How could it hurt anything? 😊

Reply 1 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps because midiconfig is setting which device on the host machine is to be used and is not the same from machine to machine? Also the devices any given PC can change order over time. Installing the Munt driver will add yet one more. Having nothing specified makes DOSBox use the systems default MIDI device. There is no way to predict what midiconfig=0 would point to on any random machine.

Even if by chance it would select the desired device, it might not be right for a game's current configuration, i.e. if a game is configured to use Roland sound, but the wrong device is selected it will sound like shit. What you are probably missing is to run a game's setup to select the emulated audio hardware you want.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 8, by Tiltowait

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Perhaps because midiconfig is setting which device on the host machine is to be used and is not the same from machine to machine? Also the devices any given PC can change order over time. Installing the Munt driver will add yet one more. Having nothing specified makes DOSBox use the systems default MIDI device. There is no way to predict what midiconfig=0 would point to on any random machine.

How many people who download DOSbox to play games have multiple MIDI devices installed on their machines? My guess is very few. Anyone who had this configuration would surely know to edit the .conf file appropriately.

It just makes me sad to see so many people using soundblaster because they don't know any better, when the vastly improved experience of MIDI is right there. However, asking most people who download DOSbox to play games to edit the dosbox.conf file seems impractical. DOSbox runs well right out of the box, which is a great accomplishment. It almost never needs any tweaking. MIDI on by default would be another great feature.

Last edited by Tiltowait on 2015-06-28, 08:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Are you sure your default midi device is correctly selected ?
As far as I know (and how dosbox is intended to work)

midiconfig=0 => use first device
midiconfig= => use default device.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 8, by Tiltowait

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:
Are you sure your default midi device is correctly selected ? As far as I know (and how dosbox is intended to work) […]
Show full quote

Are you sure your default midi device is correctly selected ?
As far as I know (and how dosbox is intended to work)

midiconfig=0 => use first device
midiconfig= => use default device.

Wha...it is enabled by default? OK well then that makes my job a lot easier! I could have sworn I couldn't get it to work without tinkering, but here it is. I suppose I got it off that one guy's MIDI instructional videos that got taken down. Anyway, this is great news and I'm off to tell everyone I know to change from soundblaster to MIDI! 😊

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Which only means people have to select midi in the game's setup...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure that the default MIDI device in Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 is Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. No change in the DOSBox config file is needed.

But as Dominos mentioned, you need to configure to game to use General MIDI for music. This usually is done through running SETUP, INSTALL, SETSOUND or something similar. It's slightly different per game, but not hard to figure out.

Setting MIDI CONFIG is needed when you want to have DOSBox use a Soft Synth, such as BASSMIDI, VirtualMIDISynth or Munt.

Mixer /listmidi brings up a list of midi devices with the MIDI ID numbers.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do think you are right on a fresh install, but I have seen the order change over time in Vista and Win7, probably from installing/uninstalling devices.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

I do think you are right on a fresh install, but I have seen the order change over time in Vista and Win7, probably from installing/uninstalling devices.

Yes that can happen. VirtualMIDISynth for example "takes over" as the default device.

YouTube, Facebook, Website