VOGONS

DosBox Share

Topic actions

First post, by xucaen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a quick question about DosBox and concerns about share. I am running DosBox v0.74, which IMO is the greatest invention since DOS itself, under Windows 7. I want to run a program in two seperate DosBox windows, and they may need to access the same files and folders on my mounted C: drive. Is that going to cause issues or will Windows 7 safely allow both DosBox windows to access the files?

Regurgitating my old DOS BBS from 1996.

Reply 1 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Official DOSBox does not support shared file access. It may seem to work, but file corruption is bound to happen sooner or later.

The vDos project (a fork of the DOSBox source) claims to support shared file access and the necessary locking mechanisms, but you'll have to ask the developer of that project for help with any problems you might have with it.

Reply 2 of 15, by xucaen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Firefox complained rather loudly when I tried to navigate to their web site. I guess Windows thinks they are a virus. 😮

Reply 4 of 15, by xucaen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

if you try to download from there, you will see they replaced their binaries with a PDF stating they had to removed their project from sourceforge. That's OK, I'll just move on.

Reply 5 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Did you actually understand what the pdf states? They didn't have to remove it, it's now available at vdos.info.

(Otoh, I'm not sure vogons can just pass along users to vdos anymore. Bundling stuff like 4dos seems a bit no-go)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 15, by xucaen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Did you actually understand what the pdf states? They didn't have to remove it, it's now available at vdos.info.

(Otoh, I'm not sure vogons can just pass along users to vdos anymore. Bundling stuff like 4dos seems a bit no-go)

Yes, and vdos.info throws up all over the place in Firefox, and the fact that "The 2015.10.01 version has a major bug; it stops working on November 1st ! It is replaced by version 2015.11.01. " It's actually quite scary. 😉

I even tried Freedos in VirtualBox, but they don't provide mounting folders as drives or a virtual modem. I'm happy with DosBox and if I run into any share issues I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I just wan to say I love DosBox. The ability to mount folders from the host and access a virtual modem are indispensable.

Reply 7 of 15, by JosSchaars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No reports came in about Firefox having trouble with the vdos.info site. I just opened it w/o problems in Firefox. If you look at the discussion forum on SourceForge, you can read what that 2015.10.01 bug was about. And get an idea that vDos is used by many, not some scary stuff.
The binaries and source code were moved to vdos.info because I didn’t get a clear answer if it was allowed to include third party (w/o source) programs to the vDos distribution on SourceForge. So I had to prevent the vDos distribution would be suddenly blocked.

Some DOS (mostly database) programs need sharing support and will complain if it isn’t enabled. But that isn’t the mean reason why your files could get corrupted. DOSBox caches file reads and writes; if one instance modifies a file, it isn’t detected by a second instance, possibly overwriting other changes!

Jos Schaars

Reply 8 of 15, by xucaen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I went and got vDos installed. Unfortunately, they don't support a virtual modem the way DosBox does. I need to set up a listening port in 3 different DosBox windows. However, vDos does have built in share.exe protection so for me it becomes a choice between do I want my files protected when being accessed from multiple clients or do I want to be able to run those clients at all. Since my software is all mmdem-related software, having the virtual modem is a must.

@Jos, in firefox I got a window saying the site was known to contain malware or something like that and I had to click a button to ignore the warnings before Firefox would display your web page. You can find out more on the Firefox web site. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-does … protection-work

I am sorry if I pissed you off. I meant no disrespect. All I want is a DOS emulator that can run share.exe and run my software using virtual modem.

I am now looking into an OS/2 solution - though that is not looking good. So far the best I have found is DosBox. Maybe I can write my own TSR or driver or something that can lock files when in use. I don't really know.

Reply 9 of 15, by JosSchaars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Share.exe doesn’t do anything on its own. Your program has to call explicit its functions and use a locking scheme to safeguard (regions) of files against concurrent changes. If it doesn’t, share.exe won’t add anything to the programs functionality. Mostly a program that needs share.exe will warn it isn’t installed and just quit. Are you sure your program will use the share functionality at all?

Tried Firefox on another computer, still no warning whatsoever. However if I try HTTPS//… , I get a warning that the sites certificate isn’t valid. If I remember correctly, that is a Firefox only issue. Nothing to do about that, just wait until Firefox comes with an update.

Jos Schaars

Reply 10 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No problems here accessing vdos.info using Firefox 42.0 or 43.0b2.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 15, by xucaen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using 42.0 as well.

Reply 13 of 15, by xucaen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nope.

Reply 14 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about using a virtual machine (i.e.: VMWare, Virtualbox) with a real MS-DOS?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 15 of 15, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xucaen wrote:

Firefox complained rather loudly when I tried to navigate to their web site. I guess Windows thinks they are a virus. 😮

Don't pay it no mind - vDOS is a project by academics, and they haven't bothered to fix up their code signing certificates. Academics continually churn out free code and don't bother with the proper details like normal developers do.