VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My goal always is, choosing a PC-Configuration that can run a big bunch of different Software-Titles.
Therefore I choose the machine that is shown in my signature.

Due to the fact, that I choose a PII/Celeron instead of a Pentium1 or slower I get compatibility-issues
with old dos-software (games and demoscene-stuff)

My Win98se has all dosdrivers configured as well (EMS,mouse,SB16,GUS) but only newer Games/Demos
run as a Fullscreen-Dos under started Win98se. I could make a boot of a real installed Dos6.22, but
the machine is so fast, that some Games/Demos run under started Win98se Dos-Fullscreen, but
they don't run under plan Dos 6.22 on the same machine.

I came to the conclusion that Dosbox with Win98se should be a really good idea. I still got a 4:3 TFT,
the gfx in 320x200 looks good to me, but I need more CPU-Power because dosbos "emulates" all the
stuff and I do no need that. The hardwaremixing of the real gus does not draw performance ot of
the installed Celeron400 if it is used, but currently dosbox uses my SB16 (CT4170) to emulate the
gus. I would like to change dosbox to use the real gus and therefore it could be possible that my
cpu has enough power to run all the old games/demos without "dynamic core" and stuttering
animations and sound.

So please tell me, how I can make Dosbox use my real Gus.

Thx!
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds like a pretty convoluted and backwards solution. DOSBox is an emulator. If you have real hardware, that you don't need to emulate, why do you need DOSBox? It looks like you are essentially trying to use DOSBox as some sort of slowdown utility. There are far simpler and effective solutions for this problem.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 11, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBOX is at this state by far the better option then ANY slowdown-utility. Most of them do not work properly on a PII/Celeron,
some cause serious problems, some do not prevent the software from crashing. The only Problem is, that I picked a slightly
underpowered CPU.

I expected Doxbox to use the real hardware if the machine has it and it's properly configurated.

Reply 3 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, DOSBox is an emulator. It emulates the hardware, so having the real one is no benefit (there is an outdated patch to pass through ISA soundcards on Linux, I think).
AND emulation needs raw CPU power, for 90ies and especially mid-90ies you need much more power than you have.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 11, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

I expected Doxbox to use the real hardware if the machine has it and it's properly configurated.

Technically that shouldn't be possible.
DOSBox is a Windows application, and Windows prevents direct access to the hardware. Some hardware is protected altogether, other hardware is programmed specifically by Windows, and reprogramming it will crash the system. In Win9x, some of the hardware was virtualized, so DOS applications running in Win9x 'thought' they could access it, and it may or may not work. Eg, you weren't allowed to reprogram the timer interrupt, because Windows uses it for its task scheduler.
This breaks most games/demos, which want to use the timer interrupt to sync things to the screen refresh and such.

Likewise, Windows is a multitasking OS, so it has to share its hardware between processes. You can't have a single process access your sound card directly, because Windows is in charge of the sound card, and it uses a mixer to make multiple processes use the same card at the same time. Or in the case of a midi synth, you can only send midi data to Windows at a high level, and Windows decides how and when it is sent to the card. You are not allowed to directly access the hardware like in DOS.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 11, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx! The newer games that use dosextenders run good on that machine (duke, blood, etc.)
Because the slowdown-utilities for dos with a PII/Celeron do not work so good, I thought
about using Dosbox, but you made it clear, that this a dead end, especially on that machine.

So I should try some Windows-Slowdown Utilities, they should effect the dostitles started
under Win9x also.

Reply 6 of 11, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

but you made it clear, that this a dead end, especially on that machine

DOSBox is not Windows application, it's open sourced and may to have ports to other OS with less limitations. It may be run with DOS extender. Windows itself may to have patches/drivers/software to extend limits. Some additional hardware may be used. DOSBox has kind of passthrough patch for FM, but I doubt it makes things much faster. There may exist ways to make passthrough mode for sound cards. But as not many ones need this, it's more reasonable to use 2nd faster machine for DOSBox.
As for your CPU, you may speed it up a little by overclocking. Or try other close CPU like Celeron 300A many of wich could be overclocked to 450-500 MHz (100/110*4,5) what will give ~2 times more speed in DOSBox. Result should be slow for 1993-... stuff, anyway, but at least something.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 8 of 11, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

I currently use a Celeron 400 and trying to get it in 433 Mhz (SL3BC)

Many 300A allow 100-112 FSB, besides higher frequency up to 450-504 MHz. If you seek for maximum with Intel, while keeping low speed close to P2 333.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 10 of 11, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

My board has max FSB66, so no 100/133 FSB

If you are interested in Win9x games too, 66-133 FSB board like Asus P3B-F 1.04 is better choice.

Last edited by Tertz on 2015-12-06, 22:51. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide