VOGONS

DOS copy command

Topic actions

First post, by caraltholz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my problem seems trivial looking at some others.. using dos command "copy fileA -specialcommand :lpt1" to print a file to a postscript laser...
does not work... any ideas..
thanks...
norm

Reply 2 of 9, by caraltholz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the suggestion... 2 things..
how do you do it under dosbox..

2) under dos we would actually say...
lsr -invoice(that is a function within the program) filea (is the data field) lpt1: is the port..
the program then performs special things before sending it to lpt1..
if I can get the straight copy command to work under dosbox... I could print to file and then "copy" to lpt1

hope you can help ...
norm

Reply 3 of 9, by caraltholz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

as as aside...
the laser postscript program we are using is called Pagegarden...
clever little thing

Reply 4 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moving to the DOSBox forum...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
caraltholz wrote:

using dos command "copy fileA -specialcommand :lpt1" to print a file to a postscript laser...
does not work... any ideas..

Your syntax is incorrect.

First of all, it should be lpt1: and not :lpt1.

You can also use prn instead of lpt1: (stands for printer).

Also, most special switches should be put before the source file name, not after it.

Finally, it may not work under DOSBox without special configuration to set up passthrough to the printer.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 9, by caraltholz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks... you of course were right re: the syntax.. sorry no luck... tried a database program called alpha4 and tried to print directly from that.... the work around I came up with was.... set up the Postscript file under DOSBox and then switch to windows 7 and pump out the file using Illustrator which handles the postscript file fine...

thanks for the help...

BTW... got any ideas re: the passthrough problem?

norm

Reply 7 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the past I've used the DOSBox Megabuild to enable passthrough to the physical LPT port. See if it helps you:
Printing from DOSBox

However, the caveat is that the PortTalk utility mentioned there to actually enable said physical access may not work on Vista or newer. I have no idea if this was ever worked around.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed it is, but as long as it works for whatever particular single task is required, I see no problem using it just for that task.