VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tiltowait

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just had a session of Star Control 2 crash on me, just as I was getting back to the space station with a full load of minerals and biologicals. So, to get back to where I was, I had to find an ancient cheat program. It comes as a .COM file and when you run it, it states:

This TSR will reset your RES units every time the disk is accessed.
Gives you 12000 BIO...

Star Control ][ cheat has gone resident...

Thereafter starting the game, nothing happens. I assume this is due to the disk not being accessed. How can I trigger this deliberately?

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try ctrl-f4. This rereads the contents of the mounted folders and might work, though I doubt it does ;(

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry then! I have no other idea ;(

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 6, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game should read and write from the disk as per normal, so the only reason I can think of that it's not working is because a very low-level interrupt is being hooked and DOSBox doesn't use that.

If this is the case, you'd have to boot a real DOS installation inside DOSBox and run the game from in there. That will cause all disk reads/writes to go all the way down to the BIOS sector read/write functions, just like on a real machine. (I'm only assuming this doesn't happen normally in DOSBox for simplicity - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As Malvineous writes, it is likely to work IN DOSBox if you use a hd image and boot from that. A little more work but doable. There is a guide on that in the dosbox guides forum