VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by White_Storm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I have bought Tomb Raider I and installed it. I have also installed nGlide for better graphics. The game works fine but I cannot record movies. When I press CTRL-ALT-F5 combination nothing happens, after that I do the same again and DOSBOX crashes. Also I cannot find any video in the folder specified for captures. Could you please help?

Edit: To check if the buttons have any other in game action and this is the reason I have changed the record video button to 'P' in mapper. The same happens when I hit 'P' twice.

Reply 1 of 2, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When glide is active, the wrapper is in control of the DOSBox window. This means that DOSBox window related options (resolution, scaler, ...) do not work

This also means the video recording won't work. You need to use another program for that.
Or you can try the 3dfx chip emulation patch with the option voodoo=software. That can use the internal video capturing of DOSBox but it requires a lot more processing power than the wrapper method or the option voodoo=opengl.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 2 of 2, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
White_Storm wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have bought Tomb Raider I and installed it. I have also installed nGlide for better graphics. The game works fine but I cannot record movies. When I press CTRL-ALT-F5 combination nothing happens, after that I do the same again and DOSBOX crashes. Also I cannot find any video in the folder specified for captures. Could you please help?

Edit: To check if the buttons have any other in game action and this is the reason I have changed the record video button to 'P' in mapper. The same happens when I hit 'P' twice.

Dosbox's capturing subsystem can not capture video that is not generated inside dosbox. nGlide is an external 3DFX glide wrapper, and all glide-enabled dosbox does is pass the commands to this wrapper. In a real system, early 3DFX cards were add-in cards. If the build of dosbox you have has a software renderer, that's the only way it will work.

If you want to capture video with nGlide you will need to use OBS, Xsplit, or something else like MSI Afterburner or nVidia Shadowplay.

More to the point, if you want to actually capture video from a Glide API game, you'll want to decide if it's more important to be able to play it while recording, or recording it accurately. If you want to record it accurately, you will not want to use hardware acceleration, which will limit it to a 640x480 resolution. If you want to just record it, don't use the internal capture. The internal capture is the only way to capture a DOS game accurately because you can tell it not to drop frames, thus the game will appear to stutter during recording, but when you playback the video the stutter will not be there.