VOGONS

First post, by Attila_the_Fun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have run into a snag while working on making Warcraft II multiplayer. While I am able to run multiplayer sessions, it becomes VERY cumbersome to try and edit the .conf file every time that I want to play. 😒

I am wanting to know if it is possible to set up dosbox to automatically edit a .conf file.

More specifically, I want to know if I can set up dosbox using a conf file (we shall call it "a.conf") to read my host computer's IP address. Then, dosbox inputs this information into a separate conf file ("b.conf"), overwriting the already existing IP address as needed.

I already know that I can run "b.conf" in dosbox from other computers on my network, so that is not a problem. I also understand that for this to run properly, the host computer must be started first.

Thank you for any help! 😊

Reply 1 of 2, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why do you even need to read the host's ip address? Just use a hostname to connect instead, e.g. "ipxnet connect your_host_pc_name", or set up a static ip address for your host (the address is always the same). (I'm assuming this is a LAN setup)

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 2 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Without regard to the host file you can set some settings in Dosbox and then use "config -writeconf configpsthname"

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper