VOGONS

First post, by lolattackz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Recently, I tried using DOSBox to play Heroes of Might of Magic 2 on my PC, mostly because, as my PC is on 64-bit Windows 7, it cannot normally run HOMM2, which is a 16/32 (I'm not sure) bit game. The problem is that, to fully play the game, I have to run the "setup" program, but it won't let me. I go to the directory it's in through DOSBox, type in the name of the program to run it, and it gives me a message saying that the command it runs when I open an .exe file is illegal (pics attached of the file I'm try to run and the message it gives me when I try to run it). I think the problem is that the program I'm trying to run requires administrator privileges, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me?

Edit: Refining the title a little

Reply 1 of 4, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a windows program not a dos one..

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 2 of 4, by lolattackz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lightmaster wrote:

It's a windows program not a dos one..

So, what do I do? Use something like VirtualPC? I can't run it in the normal Windows OS that's on my PC because the program's way out of date.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The easiest thing to do would be to buy whatever version GOG.com is selling.
https://www.gog.com/game/heroes_of_might_and_ … _2_gold_edition

But after a little Googling it looks like there should be a DOS version on the CD. I see you've changed to the "_setup" directory in DOSBox; isn't there another installation program in the root of the CD (that is, in E:\ ) ?

I have no idea why you're typing "mount c E:\" and then "mount e E:\ -t cdrom", as that is never, ever going to work. Have you read the "60 Seconds Guide" ?
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

Googling also suggests that the Windows version is 32-bit, so it should still run if you can get it installed – but even if the program is 32-bit, it might still be using a 16-bit installer that will not run under 64-bit Windows. Fortunately, there are ways to get around that as well.
https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988