VOGONS

First post, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the following games, are there any advantages to running with either DB or SVM?

Beneath a Steel Sky
Full Throttle
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Maniac Mansion
Day of the Tentacle
Monkey Island 1-3
Sam and Max Hit the Road
The Dig
Zak McKracken

I have just always assumed that ScummVM is better for these games, but maybe that is not necessarily the case? I prefer DOSBox but want to make sure I'm not missing out on any features, sound effects, etc. or potentially exposing myself to additional bugs by playing on one emulator versus the other.

Reply 1 of 3, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox is an emulator, whereas ScummVM is an interpreter. Two fundamentally different concepts and you should read up on the gritty details to see if either one resonates more with you.

As for playing Lucas and Sierra games, I doubt it makes much of a difference. ScummVM is arguably easier to get going and configure though.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ScummVM is capable of running the 256-color CD version of Zak McKraken; there is no DOS release of that game. (It's also pretty much impossible to obtain legally, if you care about that.)

ScummVM has screen filters, but DOSBox has mostly the same ones anyway.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual … Graphic_filters

For Monkey Island 1 and 2, you might prefer the "Special Edition" releases on GOG and Steam; both can revert to the original graphics. I don't think either of them uses DOSBox or ScummVM. And of course there's the new Remastered Editions of Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle.

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has ScummVM reworked its video output code yet? Last time I tried it I was stuck to using square pixel ratios for 320x200 and integer scale.

apsosig.png
long live PCem