VOGONS

First post, by smichelsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an '80s DOS program that can create and save small files, and also load them for use later.
Within DOSBOX I am able to save a file to the mounted "A" drive (a folder on my c: drive).
However, when I attempt use the pgm to load the file back in, I get a disk error.
What could be the cause here?

I have read that doxbox is not for games, but so far this emulator has worked better than the others I have tried (vdos, vdosplus).
Anyone care to suggest an emulator? I would like to avoid using a full dos app inside an emulator!
Thanks,
Steve

Reply 1 of 8, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smichelsen wrote:
I have an '80s DOS program that can create and save small files, and also load them for use later. Within DOSBOX I am able to […]
Show full quote

I have an '80s DOS program that can create and save small files, and also load them for use later.
Within DOSBOX I am able to save a file to the mounted "A" drive (a folder on my c: drive).
However, when I attempt use the pgm to load the file back in, I get a disk error.

I have read that doxbox is not for games, but so far this emulator has worked better than the others I have tried (vdos, vdosplus).
Anyone care to suggest an emulator? I would like to avoid using a full dos app inside an emulator!

DOSBox is intended only *for* games. However, some of us apostates refuse to repent. <BEG>

I use it for running a text editor and some utilities that I have written in QBASIC. It works fine for me.

Take care though.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 2 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
smichelsen wrote:
I have an '80s DOS program that can create and save small files, and also load them for use later. Within DOSBOX I am able to […]
Show full quote

Thanks,
Steve

I would suggest that you try a SVN build of dosbox like https://blog.yesterplay80.net/dosbox-ece-en/ and the DOSBox r4112.7z (need to unzip it with 7zip or winrar)
We have made quite a number of fixes.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 8, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While many people here are using DOSBox, because it is well suited to games, and emulates a variety of sound cards, if you only want to run some "serious" applications, you might want to use VirtualBox and simply install either FreeDOS or a copy of your favourite DOS in it. The media handling (disk images) is usually much less hassle than with DOSBox.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 8, by smichelsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gene - yes I did mean to say that DosBox is ONLY for games. Oops.

Qbix - I have "DOSBox0.74-win32-installer". Is there a better/faster/stronger version, that could possibly allow my pgm to read as well as write? I could not find anything different for windows on the yesteryear page.

root42 - I'm a newbie at DOS emulation on my 64bit PC - I read that one must be careful about installing a copy of DOS as one can risk the copy of windows that runs the PC. I get that DOS needs to be installed "into" the emulator. Is there a step-by-step install guide somewhere - I don't want to botch that up!

Reply 6 of 8, by smichelsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosfreak:
I used
mount a c:/dosprogs/
to mount a folder and have it seen as the A drive in my DOS pgm, which I ran from that folder.

My program is a multi-image slideshow editor created by "Audio Visual Laboratories" called "AVL ProCall", which ran on an 8088 PC with a "Genesis boardset" installed. The boardset controlled (via RCA cables) up to ten "AVL Dove" dissolve units, which in turn each drove 3 slide projectors. See my page www.stevenmichelsen.com/AVL and scroll down a bit to see a video of ProCall being used.

I won't actually be able to drive a slideshow using ProCall in my 21st century PC, (gotta have that 8-bit board installed!) but at least I can reacquaint myself with how it works.

Reply 7 of 8, by smichelsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

QBIX - Holy Crap! I take it all back! I just ran the version of Dosbox that I got from the yesteryear page (DOSBox ECE r4112), and it ALLOWED ME TO WRITE AND READ FILES! I see that it is identified as the same version as the "other" dosbox, v 0.74, but this is the "community version" and does indeed allow me to do what I want to do. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Steve

Reply 8 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

ECE isn't the needed part. the 4112 is 😀

Have fun

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!