VOGONS

Common searches

Mounting multiple CDs

Topic actions

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Whenever I try to mount more than 4 cds in dosbox, whether emulating the cds from folders, or straight off a virtual CD drive, or mixed with virtual CDs and real ones, I get the error
MSCDEX: Failure: Too many CDRom-Drives (max:5). MSCDEX installation failed.
drive J is mounted as CDROM

for the fifth CD it tries to mount. any more than that it complains about not having the drives in contigious order.

currently my autoexec looks like this

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount f J:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl
mount g H:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl -label Pandora 2
mount h I:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl -label Pandora 3
mount i N:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl -label Pandora 4
mount j o:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl -label Pandora 5
mount c c:\
C:

with J being a read CD drive and H I N and O being virtual drives mounted with isos, and c being my harddrive. Let me know if you can help/need other information.

Reply 1 of 35, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only thing I see wrong is that you're specifying the same number for the -usecd parameter of all the mount commands. Each drive has a different number (can't remember how to find it, but it's in the DOSBox readme).

Reply 3 of 35, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you just mount the first CD on f and then tell your virtual drive software to swap CDs? (you can hit something like Ctrl+F5 to refresh the disk cache in DOSBox after swapping disks - check the DOSBox readme for the actual key combo)

Reply 6 of 35, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that you need to issue a mount -cd command to see a list of all valid usecd parameters.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 35, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the error is quite self-explaining: DOSBox doesn't support that many CD-Rom drives. I don't know if that could be changed in the source code. BTW, you don't need virtual drive software: DOSBox can mount ISOs directly (via the imgmount command).

Reply 8 of 35, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moe, he's trying to mount 5 CD drives and DOSBox is telling him that 5 is the max supported but that 5 is too many. If only 4 are supported then the error message should be changed to reflect this.

Reply 9 of 35, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well considering the amount of IDE slots the max would be four 😉
you might want to try mounting them as regular drives though. Not certain if a game would check if it;s cd when reaching the 5th cdrom

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 35, by Guest

User metadata
Qbix wrote:

well considering the amount of IDE slots the max would be four 😉
you might want to try mounting them as regular drives though. Not certain if a game would check if it;s cd when reaching the 5th cdrom

Actually, four drives is not the maximum, seeing as you can easily buy an IDE card and add more drives that way. I suppose these days it would really be SATA, but the point still stands. I don't know about 1996, as I never bought any hardware between 1994 and 1999, but I'm sure that IDE cards would have been available back then, and some crazy person could well have had enough CDROM drives for The Pandora Directive to have one drive per disc.

I've tried copying the files off the CDs to the hard drive and mounting directories as regular drives. It doesn't fool the program. Under A Killing Moon isn't fooled either.

Reply 11 of 35, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I think there were 4 or 8 "standard" ports for IDE drives in ISA computers, giving theoretically 8 (or even 16) CD drives. I wonder if the MSCDEX API has a limit...

Reply 12 of 35, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous wrote:

Whenever I for the fifth CD it tries to mount. any more than that it complains about not having the drives in contigious order.

so why don't you make them in continuous order? (c,d,e,f,g,h)

Reply 13 of 35, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It may be as easy as changing MSCDEX_MAX_DRIVES in src/dos/dos_mscdex.cpp. I can't check for myself at the moment because my drive died so I'm temporarily out of commision(typing this from someone elses computer).

Reply 14 of 35, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Side note: My current computer has two on-board IDE controllers (for a total of 4 IDE channels with a maximum of 8 drives supported) and two on-board SATA connectors (which could support two drives, although I'm using them for a striped array)

Reply 15 of 35, by Peter Mattsson

User metadata
ih8registrations wrote:

It may be as easy as changing MSCDEX_MAX_DRIVES in src/dos/dos_mscdex.cpp. I can't check for myself at the moment because my drive died so I'm temporarily out of commision(typing this from someone elses computer).

I've just tried it, and it is indeed that simple. I just changed MSCDEX_MAX_DRIVES to 10, recompiled, and voila! I can mount all six discs of Pandora Directive simultaneously.

Cheers, and here's to quick fixes!

Peter