VOGONS

First post, by Ron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I configured Dosbox-0.65 so the local directory is drive C. As soon as I ran DosBox, I got warning message that it is not recommended, and I should mount any subdirectory as the local directory C:\. I never got this warning on the previous version of DosBox. I read the instructions carefully where there was reference to the local directory should be, but I still don't understand how come everything on the real drive C could be destroyed if I choose it as the local directory. What difference does it make if the local directory is C:\oldgames or drive C?

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you mount the entire C:\ drive then you could delete any file on your hard drive. If you only mount a certain folder then only the files in that folder can be deleted in DosBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The reason I can think of is security. Old DOS programs weren't considerate of modern Windows files, so for example if don't Mount C C:\ you take away any chance a DOS program will accidentally delete your Windows XP files or something similar.

[edit] DOSFreak beat me..

Reply 3 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There were people who happily mounted c:\ , installed Windows 3.x in DOSBOX and then wondered how they screwed up their normal Windows installation (of course if you mount c:\ then c:\windows in DOSBOX is the same directory as c:\windows in the real computer).

Of course we can take it as an intelligence test 😀 , but I guess that such people still deserve a warning..
On the other hand I am against blocking this possibility completely - it is usefull sometimes (no need to reinstall), just be carefull if you do that.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 8, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Some people (like me) have their Windows installation on another drive 😀

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 8, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How is it possible to install Windows in other drive than C: ?

Reply 6 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No problems for me (so far), but I think it's a fair and necessary warning.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 8, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

@ ChaosFish: Just choose another partition at installation time (NT, 2K, ...)
In that case Windows will only have its loader sitting at drive C.

1+1=10

Reply 8 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
ChaosFish wrote:

How is it possible to install Windows in other drive than C: ?

I think you can choose the directory (or at least it used to be possible) - when using "Custom installation" or whatever it is called these days...
But hardly anybody does that...

Of course W9x and NT/2000/XP have also something in boot sector, but it not important here (you will not get there from DOSBOX anyway). And even that can be solved with some boot manager. The only limitation I know of is the fact that W9x must be installed in the primary partition of the disc (other Windows version accept even extended partition).

Mirek