VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by IcingD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I desperately need help in getting Dosbox to work. I tried to search help to my problem from previous posts but didn't find any, so excuse me if this has already been gone trough couple of thousands of times...

So, I have used Dosbox before, that is not the problem. I just removed it from my computer (don't remember why) about half a year ago (or atleast something like that), and now when I'm trying to use it again the thing won't even start up. It just quickly flashes something along the lines of "Exit to error: can't init SDL DirectInputDevice" and then lots of numbers and gibberinsh with a couple of mentions of unknown DirectInput error.

And if this is really simple thing that everybody should be able to solve then my apologies in advance, I am not much of a computer mechanic or guru, I just know the basics of how to run them.

I have the latest version of Dosbox, 0.65 that is, and my computer is AMD Athlon 2500+ 1.84 GHz with Windows XP, and I have Radeon 9600 VC. I have already tried using older versions of Dosbox, but encountered the same problem with them also... I am really clueless of what I should do. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 8, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There should be a file called sdl.dll in your Dosbox Folder. If not, somehting's wrong with your installation. Also check your windows\system32 folder for the same file. Compare the dates of the file, It's a long shot, but it might be that your sys32 version is outdated and therefore causing problem, if so, try to replace it with the newer one from the dosbox directory. Might just work. Also check to have the latest DirectX installed...

Reply 2 of 8, by IcingD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uh, strange... There even WASN'T sdl.dll file in my sestem32 folder 😮 ... Well that's odd... I added the sdl.dll file from the Dosbox folder into the system files but still didn't help... Err...

Well the fact that I was missing the file can't be a good thing, right?

Reply 3 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Go to Add & Remove programs and properly uninstall all versions of DOSBox.

Download latest versión 0.65 from HERE.

Install it.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 8, by IcingD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried that so many times I've lost count... Did it again just to be sure and even removed all registry information of Dosbox for this time, still nothing. Same error. Oh, and I double checked Directx, I have the latest version, 9.0c or something like that...

I quess my computer is just somehow incapable of running the program... I just don't know why, since it has run it before... Also couple of my other programs are now giving the same error... Darn...

Reply 5 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, go into DXDIAG (Start/run/dxdiag)and make sure that there is no problems with your Directx files.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, you could try replacing SDL.DLL with an older version known to have work before.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 8, by Snoopyy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI I also have the same error My computer is windows XP no joysticks I am not sure what SDL files i have. Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4200 (gateway)
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53 GHZ.

Snoopyy

HELP! HELP! SOS! SOS!