VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheNexxuvas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya gang, I just was referred to this app by some of the Sierra gaming sites out there and I have to say, I loaded this program onto a Flash Drive and brought it up to work to mess with when I had some downtime and was able to play Space Quest for a good 15 minutes before I had to exit for a repair.

The readme file was simple, and easy to understand. I haven't fully fleshed the program out yet like configuring the progam to use a Soundblaster etc etc (wierd to play Leasure Suit Larry 2 w/o the tale tell opening) but I'll search around and find out the how to's.

Just wanted to say thanks for helping this old gamer reclaim some of his classics.

I can't wait to play the Police Quest series with my son using DosBox, it's going to be fun. 😁

Looks like I'll be visiting the site/forums for a good while to come.

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to hear!

You might be interested to know that ScummVM recently started supporting the older sierra games (like SQ), it's not official yet and your probably better off playing them under DosBox for now but in 6 months to a year you'll probably be better off playing SQ in ScummVM than DosBox.

oh, and shame on you for testing DosBox at work. You should be working! 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by TheNexxuvas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ROFL I know, but inbetween phone repairs I was sneaking in some game time, ROFL. 😁

Yeah Vintage Sierra reported that ScummVM was now supporting those. Cool to know. I'm definately going to mess around with DosBox for a week or so to get the hang of it. Sounds more fun than looking for missing ICSS drivers on my TSR machine at work, ROFL.

Reply 3 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the sound you have to run the game's setup, which for the PQ games is INSTALL.EXE and then set them to 'Sound Blaster' for speech or 'Adlib/Sound blaster and compatibles' for music.

Just remember to keep the cycles on PQ3 low, maybe at 9000 or less to make driving stable. 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ScummVM is also adding support for some of the Cokel Visions (part of the Sierra family) games. Gobliiins already runs better in ScummVM than either NTVDM or DOSBox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TheNexxuvas. Welcome to the forums.

I am sure you will feel like as home here. It's refreshing to see someone new who isn't complaining for a change. 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 7, by TheNexxuvas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, hard to complain about an app that runs my old Sierra games in an exceptional manner. Besides, i'm no stranger to figuring things out on a computer. Lord knows, I have to deal with it in a higher capacity than normal for my everyday job, and not to mention my volunteer web coding projects at IGN, plus my own gaming sites I hope to get back off the ground.

No worries, I'm has happy as a clam playing Leasure Suit Larry 3 on the DosBox. See DosBox works, and it works fantasticly. That's what makes me a happy camper. 😁