VOGONS

First post, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

Challenge: I have a collection of games and .conf files which I have set up for a particular Windows pc using an USB HDD. These can be used just as easily on another Wintel machine, as long as I make sure that the drive letter for the USB disk is the same. However, a couple of games require Munt for MT-32 emulation, using "[midi] config=1" since the Munt device driver is being enumerated as midi device no. 1 in Windows. Unfortunately, on the second machine, Munt is 'windentified' as midi device no. 2, making all MT-32 games sound like crap.

Question: How to set up the two computers so that Munt is correctly being used where appropriate?! I cannot find a way to change the order in which Windows midi devices are enumarated. Does anybody? A specific tool maybe?

Another way to solve the issue might be to have DOSBox select a midi device not only by ID, but also by name (config=MT-32 Synth Emulator or something similar). I might even try to write a patch for that myself, but I kindly have to ask for a little help in that case. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 1 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you might be able to do it with a bat file inside dosbox or a small executable.

I don't have a clue on how to change the enumaration inside windows.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

AFAIK everytime you select a different midi device as default in the audio settings of the control panel the enumeration gets shuffled. It's probably a trial and error until you have the munt device on both PCs in the same "slot".

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper