VOGONS

First post, by schaetzle73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would be nice if you write a tutorial or some instructions as to know what these things are:

diff
frontend
cvs
sintaxis to be used in the config file

etc.

It will be easier for a lot a people to understand what is written in the forum.
Congratulations for the nice work you have done to bring back to us the wonderfull old games!

Reply 1 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If somebody can't figure out what a diff/cvs build is, he shouldn't
use it anyways, and if there's really the need he'll be instructed.

Frontends have their own topics/homepages anyways,
and the terminology should be clear as well.

Syntax of the config file... well is there any problem? You change variables,
the semantics is (for the relevant entries) explained either in the comments
right above the respective entry, and many have detailed usage information
in the readme.

Reply 2 of 10, by schaetzle73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, understood the instructions for frontends and the sintax for the config file.

However I find the instructons for CVS and Diff a little disappointing, since nobody is born wise. At least, can you tell me a place where I can read about diffs and CVS's, I cannot figure out from the air and you do not want to explain mne because you know too much. Please try to be a little less arrogant, specially with people that ask for help in a humble way.
I could use the CVS and diffs to make work a game which is difficult for the standard Dos box. The game is Pacific Strike and looks like that the source of the problem is the joystick.
Thanks

Reply 3 of 10, by augnober

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"There is no problem" [insert Jedi mind trick here]. I think he's already provided a counterexample to this, assuming he's speaking from his own experience. It's difficult to remember how nonsensical all this could be to someone who is unfamiliar and/or has never been involved in development. This can happen with any topic because a word without background or context begins as absolute nonsense.

Here's a quick stab at it.

diffs - After a programmer modifies sourcecode, a diff can be generated to succinctly describe the difference between the old version and the modified version. This is often associated with cvs. If you're not a developer and are not fairly familiar with building/compiling your own executables (such as is often done in *nix environments), then you don't want to deal with these unless you want to get more deeply involved (it could take some sustained effort). In the case of dosbox, this often involves small fixes that will eventually be integrated into someone's build anyway if it's good.

frontend - menu for configuring settings and launching an application. In the case of dosbox, it generally means that after initial configuration, you can run a game with the best settings just by clicking on it. It's popular with people who don't want to get involved in technical details, and perhaps with people who are obsessed with collection and/or organization.

cvs - programmers store their sourcecode in here while developing. Other programmers can grab from it, and approved programmers are allowed to contribute into it. Anyone can grab it actually... but if you do, then it is only useful to you if you know how to compile it into an executable. If you're not a developer and are not familiar with *nix, then you probably don't want to build it. Some nice people periodically grab the cvs sourcecode and create recent builds and make them available for download.

syntax - well, you could use a dictionary to get a start at this one 😀 Beyond that.. If you're a moderate computer user, you should be comfortable opening a text configuration file in notepad and changing some values. You can make a backup and experiment with this. If you're not comfortable with it, then you can use a frontend.

Reply 4 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> The game is Pacific Strike and looks like that the source of the problem is the joystick.

What about waiting a bit more to get some response to the other topic
you posted just one day ago about this problem? If you already found out
yourself that diffXY would help, why didn't you ask about it in that thread?
Would keep things quite simple.

> I think he's already provided a counterexample to this

That is?

Reply 5 of 10, by schaetzle73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, augnober.

Thanks,...., wd

Reply 6 of 10, by augnober

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

>> I think he's already provided a counterexample to this
>
> That is?

He suggested what he thought might be helpful to others, because he found things confusing. The essence of your reply was "Confusing? I don't see a problem.". This is kind of a cliche. I don't see the point in taking the stance that things are fine when someone just finished telling you that he had trouble.

Edit: Well, I suppose there are situations where things are already optimal but still with problems.. so my logic is flawed. The forums are pretty good actually.. and I can't think of a more user-friendly emulator for dos games, all things considered.

Reply 7 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Well augnober... The point is, that when schaetzle73 says

I could use the CVS and diffs to make work a game which is difficult for the standard Dos box. The game is Pacific Strike and looks like that the source of the problem is the joystick.

then it is equivalent to someone telling a mechanic that

I could use the gearbox and a new clutch to make my car go faster than a standard card. The car is Nissan Z350 and looks like that the source of the problem is the transmission.

Could you explain to me what a gearbox and a clutch is, please?

What are the probability that the he will be able use an explanation to tune the car?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:dict.die. … definition:diff
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:dict.die. … +definition:cvs

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> when someone just finished telling you that he had trouble.

As i said, there's no point in having trouble with something, if there's
some specific problem he can ask. If the response is "apply a diff"
or "use a cvs build" and he doesn't understand it, he can ask, and he'll
be pointed at information that is usefull in that situation.

But that's not the case here, he's requesting information (which he could
have gathered in this forum) just because he thinks it might be usefull.
Just look at his thread in the Games forum, i'm sure in one or two days
he would have gotten a nice reply with several joystick hints, which would
be much more usefull than knowing what a diff/the cvs is.
And from his posting here i was assuming he already knows all that stuff
because he said" somebody should write things about xyz" and not
"could somebody please explain what xyz means".

Oh and i like the gearbox and clutch example 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by augnober

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> What are the probability that the he will be able use an explanation to tune the car?

It can feel nice to not be completely confused (at least enough to pick up some understanding instead of having the majority of the information go over my head in a forum that I'm already reading anyway). So it's understandable to me that occasionally people will ask for some background information, especially when the answers will also be visible to others. If you look at his first post here, he asked for help in understanding. He mentioned the potential to use the information to solve problems only after wd's response, which seemed very focused on the value the information might have in fixing something or accomplishing a certain task (wd's a good developer and solves our problems 😀). So the part about using cvs and whatever may have been a natural progression of the conversation and I think it shouldn't be taken too seriously. wd mentioned a post elsewhere about a joystick problem, so yeah, perhaps he is actually is trying to fix something too.. and maybe this is one reason why wd focused on what is most useful. Anyway, I don't see the problem with answering some questions and letting him decide to stop when he feels like it.

Reply 10 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> If you look at his first post here, he asked for help in understanding.

No, he did not. He requested somebody to write a tutorial about the
things he mentioned, that is a more detailed text than what can be
found on the forum. He does not mention anywhere that he wants
it explained. If he had stated that in the first posting, the reply would
for sure have been to search the forum, and ask specific questions
later on that have not been answered.
Diff has a lengthy thread with many details on the dev forum, "what is
the cvs" has been asked and answered quite detailed several times.