VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
georgeqgreg wrote:

A java port of dosbox? What's the relevance? And agreed, eww.

Snark aside, it illustrates what you were wising for of getting Windows games to run in DOSBox without Windows installed in it, first. Even if it is the Java port of DOSBox, the same effort could be applied to regular DOSBox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 21 of 25, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't see much about Windows in that thread, except for (I think) someone asking about the compatibility of Windows 95 with it. Care to make your point a little more obvious, please?

Reply 22 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reading comprehension. Full Tilt! Pinball and Caesar 3 are both Win32 games. Right on the page I linked to:

danoon wrote:

Here is my first running win32 game in jdosbox. It's the shareware version of Full Tilt! Pinball (1995). The menu, caption and other non-client areas of the window are missing, but other than that it seems to work pretty well.

and

danoon wrote:

Win95/98 and their setups should run find in jDosbox, but unfortunately you can't run those online because they aren't free, which is why I'm investigating porting parts of WINE.

I linked to it not because of the Java port of DOSBox, but because he had managed to get Win32 games games to run in his DOSBox without installing Windows in it.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 24 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Again, reading comprehension. He has already done it, even if it is incomplete. The two demos he has up are running through jDOSBox with what he has already done with the APIs. He specifically states that he cannot use Windows online.

Win95/98 and their setups should run find in jDosbox, but unfortunately you can't run those online because they aren't free

There would have been no point in danoon publishing a demo of Windows installed in jDOSBox. He also states that not everything works like:

The menu, caption and other non-client areas of the window are missing, but other than that it seems to work pretty well.

If he had simply loaded Windows 9x in it, these things would work.

I am sorry if I have been a bit harsh, but after hijacking a thread then stating that you said:

If only someone would pair Wine with dosbox's CPU core and port it to Windows

I provided a link to the closest thing to this that actually works, you responded with snark. It tends to rub people the wrong way. Great way to start out on a new forum.

Reply 25 of 25, by georgeqgreg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I guess I can be a bit bad about that. I'm not usually though, honest, officer!
I originally found this thread because the op had the same problem I had. He wanted to use Windows 3.1 with autolock, which doesn't work too well. A solution was proposed, but the driver suggested was for Windows 95. I simply pointed it out. And now... this.