VOGONS

First post, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i got Carlo's fast walkspeed applied for king quest 7 and it worked well.
BUT
i cant turn off the music in king quest 7, i even tried to select the hardware pro audio spectrum that is, has claimed NOT supported by my pc, my attempt didnt work. dosbox played the music

so i am on a quest to disable music only, i tried
[mixer]
nosound=true
was worse, no sound effect, but music was still there
-------------------------------------
[midi]
mpu401=false
i tried this, it didnt work, music was still there
[midi]
mpu401=false
mididevice=false
i tried this, it didnt work, music was still there

is there a way to disable only soundblaster's music in dosbox maybe if i choose soundblaster from the game's install
i searched in net but every help thread they have is
they all disable sound effect to turn off music

Reply 1 of 3, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can't if the game is using the same device for both sound & music. Maybe it has an in-game volume slider.

Reply 2 of 3, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Set your game to use mpu401 / general midi, then tell dosbox to use a nonexistent midi device for the mpu401 emulation.

On linux, this is easy as a dummy midi device is present in the alsa midi chain (actually the dumb passthrough device), and can be selected. (Has no device on the other end, so messages just disappear into the ether.)

On windows, this may be more difficult. You might need to install a null midi instrument, or the vsti driver, with no renderer.

Reply 3 of 3, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

>You can't if the game is using the same device for both sound & music.
if music abruptly stops and when i break a glass to make a sound effect then i know the game is using the same something. because DOS can not produce two sounds at the same time, unless the other one is midi. because of this reason. my quest went on.

>Set your game to use mpu401, then tell dosbox to use a nonexistent midi device for the mpu401 emulation.
this time i chose Roland MT-32 from the DOS installation, with dosbox.conf with usual variations, the game in DOSBOX crashed

>Set your game to use general midi, then tell dosbox to use a nonexistent midi device for the mpu401 emulation.
this time i chose back to the default "general midi" from the DOS installation,

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=none

mididevice= Possible values: default, win32, alsa, oss, coreaudio, coremidi, none were these and NOT false
i read it before but i didnt pay attention to "none"

now it worked, KQ7 runs without music
mididevice=none means nonexistent right?
thanks