VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Qjet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i don't doubt this has been asked before however since your search engine sucks and Ive been trying to find info on this for hours i feel that its better just to field the question and make it painfully obvious how to find this topic for anyone else who is searching for it.

Q: How do i increase the emulated XMS memory size. the game I'm trying to play (circa 7000 armies of Armageddon) requires 2.8 of XMS.

Whenever I try to run the starting bat file from dosbox i get this error, through some searching i have managed to get the game to function on windows console HOWEVER it lacks sound support which is a sizable element in the game 😀 (i was able to edit the default prompt (_default.pif) so that it has plenty of XMS and contiguous memory)

Now Ive reviewed the config file and it tells of ENABLING XMS but not setting sizes

So where is that hidden little feature in dosbox?

TY!

Reply 1 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, DosBox assigns 16mb by default for both EMS/XMS. It's MEMSIZE= under dosbox.conf. It's possible that the game doesn't like this much memory...so modify it to 4mb or somesuch.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 17, by Qjet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

IIRC, DosBox assigns 16mb by default for both EMS/XMS. It's MEMSIZE= under dosbox.conf. It's possible that the game doesn't like this much memory...so modify it to 4mb or somesuch.

well thank you for explaining that, its a little hard to understand but thats ok. Unfortunetly this did not solve my problem. Ill continue to fidle around with the settings untill i find something that works, maybe you have some sujestions? (the same error is occuring (need 2.81 of XMS)

edit: what is HMA. could it have anything to do with this?

Reply 3 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure xms=true is set properly inside dosbox.conf?

*** Moving to DOSBox General, by the way... ***

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 17, by Qjet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Are you sure xms=true is set properly inside dosbox.conf?

hheeeeeeeeyyyy >:\

it is on, sheash... As ive said ive looked through the config file, ive done alot of reading and im still no closer to solving this problem, turns out everything was set correctly and the game still dosn't run! Says it needs 2.81 of XMS and it had plenty and i know that the game should be capable of running because i can get it to do so with command prompt only CMD dosn't support any sound which is an element of the game, in adition its a little finiky. Would you like a copy of this game to try and get it to run? You may have alot more luck then me 😀

Reply 6 of 17, by Qjet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kippesoep wrote:

What is the output if you type "mem" in DOSBox?

clearly this forum has had many an annoying noob eh? 😜
edit to be clear: many an anoying noob asking for help

theres enough.
"
636 Kb free conventional memory (actuly this may be causing it as well. how i increase this?)
9152 Kb free extended memory
9152 Kb free expanded memory
"

these are my current settings but im still playing around with them

edit2: oh ive got a question, does dos box install any registry files? Im trying to set this game up so that its simple to start and use for my friends, I wanna create a simple package that will let my friends simply start dosbox and BAM be playing circa 7000 (gota get me an email game going baby 😁) Does dosbox have registry entrys?

Reply 7 of 17, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your original post already proved you did more than the average noob. The output from "mem" proves that XMS is enabled and that there is enough of it. If it still doesn't run, there's either a bug in the game or in DOSBox somewhere. (Or the combination)

636 K free conventional is more than you ever get in real DOS, so that shouldn't be a problem (unless it's actually too much for the game). In that case, you could try running "loadfix" (inside DOSBox) to use up some memory before starting the game.

Have you tried disabling EMS, which probably won't help, but is worth trying anyway?

And no, DOSBox doesn't use registry entries.

Reply 8 of 17, by Qjet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kippesoep wrote:
Your original post already proved you did more than the average noob. The output from "mem" proves that XMS is enabled and that […]
Show full quote

Your original post already proved you did more than the average noob. The output from "mem" proves that XMS is enabled and that there is enough of it. If it still doesn't run, there's either a bug in the game or in DOSBox somewhere. (Or the combination)

636 K free conventional is more than you ever get in real DOS, so that shouldn't be a problem (unless it's actually too much for the game). In that case, you could try running "loadfix" (inside DOSBox) to use up some memory before starting the game.

Have you tried disabling EMS, which probably won't help, but is worth trying anyway?

And no, DOSBox doesn't use registry entries.

yes ive tried seting EMS to false, no effect. Im considering seting up a simple pif file with the proper adjustments to do it and sound be damned but i really dont want to <:\

Reply 10 of 17, by Qjet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kippesoep wrote:

Did you do the "loadfix" as well?

yes that was one of the first things i tried to do to get C7 running.

i could set CMD prompt with almost all my memory and c7 still wouldnt have trouble, My (loose) educated guess is that it simply dosnt see any XMS when its been run, its old, its not THAT old.

Reply 11 of 17, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a bug in DOSBox. Easy enough to fix. Patch attached and submitted to SourceForge.

Attachments

• Filename
    xms.diff
    File size
    865 Bytes
    Downloads
    246 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 17, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it fails, BL should have the error code. According to the specs:

In:
AH=0Eh, DX=handle
Out:
Success: AX=0001h, BH=lockcount, BL=numfree, DX=size
Fail: AX=0000h, BL=errorcode

Reply 15 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Shouldn't more calls follow this way ?
Not that many calls actually(officially) change bl while dosbox changes it always.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 17 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Himem.sys returns for most functions bl=0 on success,
which seems to be undocumented. But some functions modify
bl, so if the function works ok bl does NOT contain the
return code (as in functions 0x0c and 0x0e).
So imho the rest shouldn't be changed.