VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by How do I convert DROs int

User metadata

Hi,

I finally got a DOS game to work on DOSBox and was hoping to save the music from the game as a MIDI, but unfortuantely, I can only save the music as a DRO file. I have several questions about the Raw OPL commands. Is there any program that can convert them into MIDIs? And, can DOSBox play them the DROs by itself?

Thanks in Advance. 😁

Reply 1 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AdPlug is supposed to be able to play DRO recordings in Winamp, althought I've never been able to make it work myself: http://adplug.sourceforge.net/

Note that OPLx chips are not MIDI synthesizers and that raw OPL is completely different from MIDI, so there is no way to do any kind of meaningful conversion between the two formats.

Reply 4 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Using AdPlug 1.6 with Winamp v5.112 all I get is random sounding beeps and bloops trying to play the theme for Simon the Sorcerer on your server.

Using the in_adlib.dll from your site (version 1.5?) seems to work fine - WTF?

Reply 5 of 6, by DjLc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you use the last in_adlib.dll (1.6) You cant hear properly my rips.
Why ?
I used Dosbox 0.62 for the rips. the playing trough adplug 1.5 was fine. In 1.6 the adplug core was updated and DRO files specs were added with specs from Dosbox 0.63.
Only the rips from Doxbox 0.63 are correctly played BUT with a volume bug, the sound is too low imho... So i've choose to stay with 0.62 for ripping and adplug 1.5

Reply 6 of 6, by Batteryman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

AdPlug is supposed to be able to play DRO recordings in Winamp, althought I've never been able to make it work myself: http://adplug.sourceforge.net/

Note that OPLx chips are not MIDI synthesizers and that raw OPL is completely different from MIDI, so there is no way to do any kind of meaningful conversion between the two formats.

bouth midi and OPL share the same technoligy by using notes
But for sure, you cant do all the stuff in midi as in OPL
but all kinda adlib and midi are sequenced music.
So in fact, if you have a converter that can read a spesefic format, you can dump all the notes from a adlib track to a midi.
It only question about the correct tool.
But for sure.. it woulnd sounds like the adlib track, beacuse the midi bank has there own sounds, 128 instruments + percussion.
The adlib tracks, you can somehow say, the possibilities is "unlimited"
i have sucsessfully converted the wolfenstein intro track to an another module/sequenced track that is compatible whit newer platform, such as FMOD.
There are a few tools you can do some nasty tricks , to make it possibilities to make midi`s or even betther, make your own remixes.
The ultimate tool isnt avatible yet
when a RAW2MID is out, you can say, "sure ! adlib track to midi is possible"
since Winamp can export almost all kinda adlib format to AdLib RAW