VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EdusP

User metadata

Hi , i want to know what is the maximum size of hard disk emulation DosBox supports? I created a 250 MB Virtual Hard Disk file and when i partitioned and formatted it , msdos only recgnized 124 Mb. Anyone can help?
Thanks!

Reply 1 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which ver of DosBox are you using?
What utility did you use to create the image?
What parameters are you using with Imgmount?

and finally....

why are you using HD images in DosBox?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 15, by EdusP

User metadata

Im using version 0.63
I did use that bximage.exe wich come with Bochs2.2.1 and
The parameters are: imgmount c d:\hdd.img -size 512,63,16,507 -fs fat
and the why is because i want to feel that went back in those times when i used to play my old AT 286 with Msdos 6.20, windows 3.10 and those cool msdos games. I have all of them here and i want to install them again. I know its a freak think! 😉 but i missed that time!
do you know what is the maximum size of virtual hard drive i can use ?
Thanks!

Reply 4 of 15, by 93143

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wait, are you the guy who wanted to install an alternate version of DOS? Never mind then...

When I mount the C drive, my install of DosBox reports a little over 100MB, but I've never run into a directory it couldn't access, and I've got close to 100GB on disk. Of course, I haven't explored very far in the bigger directories...

I guess this question is back in the air...

Reply 5 of 15, by EdusP

User metadata

I have tried lots hardisk configuration and i realize that the maximum Vistual Hard Disk using default number of heads(heads=16) and number of cylinder (cyl=1023 maximum) is 126 Mega.
You can create Virtual Hard Drives largen then 126 by increasing number of heads , but the cylinder number cannot be larger then 1023.
Thats what i learned so far.

Reply 6 of 15, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have created a 2GB image trying to mount it like this:

imgmount 2 d:\c.img -size 512,63,16,4161 -fs none

but DOSBox recognizes it as 32MB

I know this is some kind of perversion...
still I wanna try it

Reply 7 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I tried just now also with a 2 GB image.
I was able to partition it and format it with 499 MB. If that limit is due to the Dos 6.22 tools limited to this size or if it is Dosbox that limits this, I don't know. At least this is approximately the limit old Bios had.
Why this doesn't work for you guys I don't know. Just follow the hdd image guide and make an unconditional format (or in that regard which format and fdisk versions are you using?).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 15, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried with dos5.0 , 6.22, Win95, Win98 boot disks.
I can partition it up till 250MB but then I won't be able to format.
I am really a dumbass with HDD parameters, I have to admit that.
So if I wanted a 499MB HDD how should I do?

Reply 10 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

don't bother with Windows 95, it's not going to install on Dosbox 0.65. There was once a special patch for the source code that let me eventually install it, but that pathc is no longer up to date and won'T work with current source code. Save yourself the pain.

All I did to make the 2 GB image work was to enter the correct values (as the bochs image tool gave me) and then mount the image. mount a dos 6.22 floppy image, boot from the floppy, fdisk, choose all availlable space, "reboot", (same mounting and booting as before) format c: /u

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 15, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I told you, I am not good a' messin' with the values; what I can tell you is that putting the right values won't work for me.
Maybe I am missing something

Reply 12 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'll try later today some things. With Freedos and such and then I'll tell you exactly what to do 😀

Reply 13 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ok, tested somewhat. Seems the maximum is 503 MB (or there is some trickery involved with the imgmount settings that i don't know).
With bximage (if you are using the bochs tool to create an image), select hd, flat, 503 and note where you save the image to.
In dosbox the imgmount settings are:
imgmount 2 c:\image.img -size 512,63,16,1021 -fs none