VOGONS

Common searches

AWE32 emulation?

Topic actions

First post, by twistedemotions

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any difference between SB16 and AWE32 emulation?

In otherwords, dosbox doesn't support AWE32 emultion correct?

Are there any games that could benefit from AWE32 emulation?

Here is some information on the AWE:

A short introduction to the AWE hardware
AWE tech - a look under the cover
The EMU 8000 and the AWE - the beauty and the beast

Reply 1 of 47, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AWE32 is like a regular SB16 plus a hardware midi synthesizer. Usually, you can use any other MIDI synthesizer to get equivalent sound (there are softsynths that can load SB's soundfonts and should sound mostly like the original).

I know of just one game which used this synthesizer ability to upload a custom SoundFont, DungeonKeeper (at least it claims it does). I was unable to compare sound output if that actually changes anything in the end result.

Reply 6 of 47, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can load soundfonts manualy with recent windows sound cards. Old nForce2 drivers had such capability ( version 4.xx yes, ver 5.xx no). All Soundblasters PCI too.

Reply 8 of 47, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could someone tell me, these games uses AWE32 for music or SFX playback?
If game uses AWE32 for SFX playback loading soundfonts is useless because game talks to hardware directly. Current emulators can not emulate AWE32, they know only midi and soundfonts will be heard when they are used for midi music only.

Reply 9 of 47, by Guest

User metadata

Most AWE-32 games (I used to own one) used the AWE-32 for music and the sound blaster 16 portion for sound. The AWE-32 had some general midi emulation ability in DOS, but it didn't work all of the time. Also, games that used the AWE32's EMU chip for sound usually didn't do a good job anyways. I would love to be able to use an AWE32 emulator because it had some really nice instruments.

The AWE-32 itself had samples in a ROM, which makes using the 4 meg soundfont not exactly like using the card by itselt. Not sure if using the 512 GS font would make it authentic or not.

Reply 10 of 47, by Guest

User metadata

Tie Fighter and Quest For Glory 4 both sounded impressive on the AWE-32 using the standard sample set.

Games that used opl sound effects: tended to sound better on SB16 mode
Music/sound seperated: usually GM emulation/ SB16 hybrid sounded better
OPL music backed by digital sound (example: drums would play on the digital PCM channel like on Battledrome): SB16
AWE32 native: awe32 usually preferred. Some games had the above case sounded better yet allowed you to use the awe32.

"Also, games that used the AWE32's EMU chip for sound usually didn't do a good job anyways"

I had a hard time trying to phrase the above line. You know on some games you'll do something like slash and it'd be rendered through the adlib-like (OPL) synthesizer? Those sometimes sound horrible on GM.

However, I think the AWE32 was designed for game synthesis and on some games, it sounded incredible, even sometimes better than the mt-32. It would be a nice asset to emulate. The AWE32 did have some weird instruments though. The trumpet would sound either incredible or like you are strangling a cat. So, it could sound real horrible on some games but thankfully you can set it as an sb16 when it did.

Reply 13 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"AWE sounding better than MT-32?"

Methinks you were playing games designed for GM and not for MT32.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 47, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is not possible with dosbox. Dosbox cannot upload soundfonts to your soundcard (no way to do it crossplatform) even if it supports soundfonts (and mostly only Creative Labs cards do). The only solution would be to have a software synthesizer which would be hard to make and would use way too much CPU.

Reply 17 of 47, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gulikoza, a softsynth is trivial: fluidsynth is available as a library, open source and reads soundblaster soundfont files natively. Way easier to do than mt32, someone would "just" have to handle the relevant IO ports.

But as I said, it remains to be proven that it is actually worth it, i.e. that you gain anything by it. As far as I can tell, the answer is "no", there's nothing you couldn't get by loading the awe32 soundfont into your sound card (or windows' softsynth) and choosing MIDI sound.

Reply 18 of 47, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That I didn't know 😁

Anyway, why would games use soundfonts for soundeffects? Using digital samples is waay easier. I agree, AWE32 emulation is probably pointless...but setting the necessary IO hooks and forwarding midi data to the host system (so that AWE32 option could be used instead of general midi in the game setup) - similar to SB MIDI interface - might be nice to have. Although I'm not sure if there are games that support AWE32 but not MPU401 interface.

Reply 19 of 47, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think Dungeon Keeper did it for performance, like Guest said. But in DOSBox that won't make any difference if it's done via a softsynth, so I see no point. Wasn't AWE32 output just midi stuff? I.e., couldn't you point an AWE32-supporting game at our sb16 with sb-midi enabled (see that patch someone recently did) and have it working?