Common searches

DOSbox killed my machine...

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing is.....a system should NEVER crash.

If your Windows XP computer crashes it's usually:

1. A driver problem. (Usually video/sound)
2. A hardware problem. (Power Supply, Video,bad PCI card, heating issue,memory)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 28, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

If your Windows XP computer crashes it's usually:

1. A driver problem. (Usually video/sound)
2. A hardware problem. (Power Supply, Video,bad PCI card, heating issue,memory)

On a side note, a couple of years ago I got flamed on the Quest Studio's message board for saying the exact same thing. (Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.)

Reply 24 of 28, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't remember DOSBOX ever crashing my system as such. I have known it to draw so much CPU power from Windows that I had to reboot (and couldn't close it) but never a crash, and I have used DOSBOX for hundereds of hours.

Software CAN damage hardware though- even if it's usually because it makes your hardware do things it's not supposed to.

People here may know the program Steam by Valve - the early Steam versions had a knack to crash Windows and corrupt the boot sector of the hard drive. I've had to repair around 6 hard drives like that from various people.

Reply 26 of 28, by Unclemartin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK folks. I hope someone can answer this very simple question. I read all the discussion about the fellow saying dosbox ruined his HD. I plan on downloading dosbox for a project I am working on but uneasy about turning my new windows 8 computer into a 1970's machine. Question is although it may be silly to most of you but will I be able to delete the program when my project is complete and how do I reclaim my new computer out of the jaws of dosbox?

Reply 27 of 28, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dos box is an executable, it's just a program, it doesn't take over your machine or install anything that changes the system at all. Do you worry about reclaiming your machine from the jaws of Notepad? Cause that's more intrusive than dosbox.

Reply 28 of 28, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBox writes nothing in any system folder except for the Start Menu shortcuts and the "%AppData%\DOSBox" folder. It makes no Registry entries on its own. Any trace of it in the Registry will be from Windows itself, like the MRU cache just like any other program that runs in Windows. If anything else is added from installing DOSBox, it did not come from www.dosbox.com

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers