VOGONS

Common searches

How can I install Windows 98 under DosBox?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by dipi25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😵
I'm using DosBox 0.63, and want to play C&C (Win95 Version).
The Processor is an AMD Sempron Mobile(754=desktop) 2800+
RAM 512MB 128MBshared 4 graficchip
The mosteproblemkind of M$ Windows XP Pro (I have installed it 120 times @home !)

If I'm running the setup.exe file are promt in Dosbox win setup.exe
If I'm running the install.exe file are promt in Dosbox win install.exe

If I type setup -cdCD nothing perhaps!
If I type install -cdCD nothing perhaps!

The drives I have mounted 😁 but in the installation of Win98 the computer says: The installation can only run on mashine with over than 66MHz. I have min. 1533! (Benchmark tested!)

Must I upper this line "cycles=7500" to "cycles=75000" 😕
I don't want to backing my CPU...
C-Ya
-dp-

25-jears jung 😀
lived in germany

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You MIGHT be able to get it to install (installation uses Windows 3.1 for install and Windows 3.1 runs fine in DosBox).

As for actually getting Windows 98 to start you won't be able to so don't even try. Supposedly some forum members have been able to get Windows 98 to start up by patching DosBox but it's not DosBox's goal to run Windows 9x (nor should it be....).

Use Qemu. It runs Wndows 9x perfectly. (Except for D3D of course 🙁 )

Also I can confirm that C&C runs perfectly under the latest version of Qemu.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 14, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Windows version too? It was for Unix systems mostly wasn't it? I read on their website that the Windows version is still in alpha, which is something I don't like using too much. (alpha= still very far away from completion with many non-working options not ot mention not the best stability usually.

Reply 7 of 14, by Guest

User metadata

I need to be clear about a couple things first, sorry if I gave anyone the wrong impression about office and DosBox.

What I have installed is just word 6.0 before office 95 office came in separate packages. I tried to install Excel 5.0 but I can't and I know why.. As you will see from the Shot Word 6.0 is the french version I have Excel 5.0 Spanish and Win 3.11 English and trust me you don't want to mix three win 3.11 lang apps together.

Lets just say Word 6 and excel 5 are out there <grin>

The Word 6.0 install went without any trouble I should note. it ask me about clip art and I'm not fluent in french so I said no and the install progressed.

I plan to test Office 95 next, and from the question it looks as if it doesn't install?

Tom

Reply 10 of 14, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You guys should really give qemu a shot. I've tried it, and regarding Win95 and up, it is as cool as DOSBox is for DOS/Win3.1. All the expected hardware works (sound, networking, svga, serial/parallel, even USB), it has some clever guest/host file sharing options, optional virtualization on x86, and all of it works as painlessly as DOSBox (which means you do need to read a manual page and set some options, but most things work fine out-of-the-box).

Reply 11 of 14, by ScreenGems98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did it, and it occasionally makes me have to restart dosbox, but I can run dosbox Inside dosbox

Attachments

• Filename
    dbindb.png
    File size
    109.37 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    windows 95 in dosbox in windows 98 in dosbox in windows 8.1
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please DON'T necropost. This thread is 8 years old

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper