VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 43, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You've checked that they work without dosbox right? As for using host system fm, I don't know if doing so will work, as dosbox doesn't have anything written specifically for fm pass through. Assuming the device works sans dosbox, try swapping out the audigy midi i/o /w wf192xg midi i/o to see if wf192xg midi i/o works with dosbox on it's own. If it doesn't work, wf192xg midi i/o doesn't understand the midi messages dosbox sends like the other devices. If it does work, maybe the driver doesn't like playing nice. I've only tested with virtual synths and don't have two hardware sources to test with so it'll be up to you or someone else to verify whether it's a driver issue or the patch in some way. Oh, do you have a windows sequencer where you can point to both hardware sources to confirm they'll work together?

Reply 22 of 43, by Tom Lewandowski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the two MIDI ports on the cards work fine under Windows. I can load up a Windows MIDI sequencer and access both ports, simultaneously. Maybe I'll pickup another Sound Blaster and try that.

Thanks, Qbix -- the "mixer /listmidi" is what I needed.

Reply 23 of 43, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If they work together in another windows app, getting another sound blaster wouldn't improve things I don't think. From here I would speculate it's something more I can do with the patch or possibly an SDL issue.

Reply 24 of 43, by Tom Lewandowski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The SpG command line referencing memory address 332H (sapimpu.com /addr:332) always results in an error, "hardware not found". Can that be changed to a more realistic MIDI port address, like 300...or 310, 320? Or does that not matter? Maybe SpG is having a hard time with the 332 address, since it's not used in MIDI hardware for accessing an interface. I haven't been able to load the SAPIMPU.COM driver except with its default 330H at IRQ 2/9. That could be causing the problem. But, you mentioned YOU DID load it using address 332. Hmmm....

Reply 25 of 43, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, it shouldn't matter and it works/hasn't mattered for me, though for a placebo effect I suppose it could be a config option:) I had checked several games, and when they would give the option to set the midi port, the usual selection was 330, 332, 334, & 336, less so 300, less so 320, less so user defined. If it's saying hardware not found, what comes to mind is either the device didn't get inited(its description should be listed in the log window like "roland vsc") or is not recognizing the midi commands sent to it(ex. I tried loading the awe32 driver with the virtual gm/gs synth and the driver didn't recognize the synth as an awe32 which sounds like the response your getting; the driver isn't recognizing what's on the other end as a valid gm midi device).

Reply 26 of 43, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may also want to try disabling the GUS emulation and use 300 and 330 as your two port numbers instead of 330 and 332, as I'm not sure how many consecutive ports are actually used by MPU-401 compatible devices. I know that most sound cards that have a configurable MIDI port number usually have a gap of at least 10 port numbers between them: 300, 310, 320, 330.

Also, you might want to make sure that you can output to those MIDI devices using standard Windows MIDI playing software (dxdiag's MIDI test is good for this) just to eliminate the possibility that it's an issue on the hardware or Windows end and not DOSBox's or SspG/SAPIMPU's fault.

Edit: Sorry, looks like you've tried most of this already.

Last edited by HunterZ on 2006-01-10, 19:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 43, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ih8registrations wrote:

(ex. I tried loading the awe32 driver with the virtual gm/gs synth and the driver didn't recognize the synth as an awe32 which sounds like the response your getting; the driver isn't recognizing what's on the other end as a valid gm midi device).

Do you mean SAPIMPU.COM? Does it require a response from the device in order to work? If so then this could be the problem, as DOSBox doesn't handle MIDI-in as far as I know.

Reply 28 of 43, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sapiawe.com. From the response, it appeared to have done an id check of some sort for an awe32, didn't find it so wouldn't load. Since it's a custom driver for awe, it's probably querying the hardware in awe fashion rather than midi. Creative went cheapskate with the awe series, they don't have a hw mpu, needs a software mpu run as a driver.

Reply 29 of 43, by Tom Lewandowski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good idea with the GUS disable. I'll try that when I get home. I'd prefer to use 300 and 330.

Yeah, that SAPIAWE driver checks specifically for the AWE hardware. I use that driver in another PC that actually has an AWE32 card within.

I can output to both the Audigy and Yamaha cards, in Windows, and under DOSBox (if I setup my MIDI mapper to either.) Both cards work fine on their own, in DOSBox...and they both work together, in Windows.

My other music computers have multiple MIDI ports that I access from Win98 and DOS: A Roland MPU-IPC, Voyetra V-22, and a SB AWE's MIDI port all reside in one of my PC's, and they're all accessible through Win98 and from Win98's DOS prompt. But that PC also has ISA slots, and SpG DOS drivers specifically designed for these devices. My WinXP and PCI ONLY computer is proving to be a huge challenge for multiple MIDI ports that are accessble from a command prompt. 😀

Reply 30 of 43, by Tom Lewandowski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I disabled GUS support, but that didn't help with the SAPIMPU driver; SAPIMPU continues to fail in detecting any hardware at "332", "300" (or any other address.

Reply 31 of 43, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ih8registrations/Qbix: Is the DOSBox feature allowing multiple MIDI devices to be defined in dosbox.conf something that is in 0.63, or is a CVS build required?

Tom: What version of DOSBox are you using, and what does the DOSBox console window say about opening MIDI devices when you start it up?

Reply 32 of 43, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hunterZ: the multiple midi feature is not in the cvs. Nor do I see much of a reason for it.

the mixer /listmidi command is present for a while as I coded to allow device selection under windows

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 33 of 43, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just scanned through the early posts in the thread and realized that ih8 mentioned that you have to patch the DOSBox source and build your own dosbox.exe to add multiple MIDI device support.

Reply 34 of 43, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The secondmpu3.diff patch(applied to CVS) and dosbox.exe on the first page are the latest. I havn't uploaded it to the patch section yet since I was looking to have it more complete(alsa handling) before doing so. Set config & config2 as described in this thread to configure. What's verified to work so far are multiple virtual synths in windows; everything else is a question mark until someone reports back success.

Reply 35 of 43, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see the dosbox.exe but I believe you. I think I should stop posting in this thread until I can force myself to slow down and read every word before asking something that's already been answered.

Reply 36 of 43, by Tom Lewandowski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I downloaded the DOSBOX.EXE and SECONDMPU3.DIFF files that were posted earlier in this thread. I've been using this newer DOSBOX.EXE file, but there were no instructions on what to do with the SECONDMPU3.DIFF file. (As I've said, I'm not a programmer, and really know very little about how DOSBox functions.) The only thing I've been playing with is the DOSBOX.CONF file, changing the "config2=x" to various numbers on the list of MIDI devices.

I think SAPIMPU needs to look for the second MPU interface at I/O 300, 310, or 320. It's currently not detecting anything at these addresses, or at 332. If I simply load SAPI with it's defaults, it's loads just fine, defaulting to IRQ 2/9. I'm not sure what address it's looking at, but it's probably 330. So, if the DOSBox configuration for the second MPU device were at IRQ 2/9, could that possibly solve this problem? I don't know how to change that parameter is DOSBox.

Reply 37 of 43, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(Tom: fixed your post - hope you don't mind)

Yeah, the DIFF file is not needed unless you want to build your own dosbox.exe from scratch.

ih8registrations will have to comment on the IRQ issue.

Also, this bothers me:

If I change "config2=" to any number other than "1", I don't get anything. I haven't been able to access either the Yamaha FM or […]
Show full quote

If I change "config2=" to any number other than "1", I don't get anything. I haven't been able to access either the Yamaha FM or its MIDI I/O...which is what I need to be able to do in order to connect another MIDI module to the Yamaha MIDI I/O.

I've been trying:
config=0 (which I need for the Audigy's MIDI port)
config=3 (which I need for the Yamaha's MIDI port)

I looked at ih8's diff file, and it looks like he's set it up so that the second device is specified by "config2", so specifying "config=" twice instead of "config=" and then "config2=" won't work. Also, it appears that he has hard-wired the second device to port 332 and IRQ 9.

I believe that the normal device ("config=") is configurable but defaults to 330 and IRQ 9. I could be wrong though as I don't have a dosbox.conf handy at the moment.

Reply 38 of 43, by Tom Lewandowski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I appreciate your fixing my post.

My mistake...that SHOULD have read:

config=0 (which I need for the Audigy's MIDI port)
config2=3 (which I need for the Yamaha's MIDI port)

I believe that the normal device ("config=") is configurable but defaults to 330 and IRQ 9.

I can load the Vapi driver (initial driver in SpG) and tell it to access the MIDI port using IRQ 5, I/O 330. Actually, using either IRQ 9, 5, or 7 in the Vapi command seems to work fine to access the first MIDI device. However, using any other I/O address than 330 doesn't work. This VAPI driver hasn't been a problem from the start. It's the second MIDI port that I still can't access, which requires the use of the SAPI driver. (The VAPI driver only supports the one, first MIDI device.)

But as I said, the SAPI driver WILL load using it's default IRQ of 2/9, but then only when it's using the same I/O of 330 as the first MIDI device. it doesn't detect anything at I/O 332.