VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Agricola

User metadata

I increased the CPU cycle even up to 100,000. No effect. The installation is maximum, the sound is off. It still works slow as hell.

Any solutions?

PS. I use Daemon Tools to emulate the CD, could that be the problem?

Reply 1 of 13, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Increasing the cycles beyond what your PC can handle won't help (and will probably make things worse). Increase frameskip, switch to dynamic core, use Kronuz' performance patch and buy a faster computer.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- Start with a low cycles setting (the default 3000 or so is a good starting point)
- Open the Task Manager and go to a tab that shows you CPU usage (assuming you're on Win2K/XP)
- Run DOSBox in a window
- Run a game inside of DOSBox
- Adjust the cycles until the CPU usage is steady around 90%. That is the maximum cycle setting possible on your system

Reply 10 of 13, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is this Kronuz' performance patch? Does it really work good? Where should I get it?

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 11 of 13, by nostalgia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When opening up DOSBOX cvs, it automatically mounts the C drive. i read the read me and -u removes the mount but when i type it in it says illegal command, and it won't let me mount the folder i want cause C is mounted. suggestions?

Reply 12 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's actually something more like:
mount -u C

Also, DOSBox doesn't mount any drives by default. You're probably either using a frontend like D-Fend, or you've added mount commands to your dosbox.conf.

Reply 13 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen some CVS versions which does just that (Ykhwong's?) but definitely not official 0.63

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)