VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Sorry to come butting in here asking for help, but I'm very confused... I'm very new to dosbox, and I don't know what to do about this problem.

I downloaded dosbox so I could play an old zork game. You probably guessed that from my name. Well, I started the install after mounting the CD rom drive, and everything was going smoothly until it asked me about sound drivers. I told it I had devices that were on the list said to be emulated by dos box.

For some reason, the program instantly closed after that. Now, I don't really care too much about getting this game working, the problem is: NONE OF MY SOUND WORKS ON MY COMPUTER.

I've been at this for a few hours trying to fix it, but my computer simply refuses to make a sound with any application. I've tried uninstalling all sound drivers, reinstalling them, removing dos box, trying other speakers, and nothing seems to work. My operating system is Windows XP.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm desperate...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 5, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sound will not work until you run the installation program successfully. Try to find out why it is crashing. You could try a CVS build, maybe it is a bug in DOSBox that has already been fixed.

Reply 2 of 5, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Moe you might do well to read his post thoroughly 😉 His whole computer no longer plays any sound.

Anyway, my two cents: DOSBOX doesn't alter Windows directly since it's not installed, no drivers, no change in the register, etc. so uninstalling or removing it will make absolutely no difference.

What might have happened, is that your soundcard drivers didn't like DOSBOX's sound emulation. I had DOSBOX mess up my sound once too, and a reboot solved it - but other than that, I've never had a single issue with DOSBOX so the problem is mostly likely with either WinXP or your soundcard (including drivers).

Reply 4 of 5, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Easy: reinstall Windows XP if nothing else works. It might be that there's some obscure setting that has gone corrupt and nothing short of a reinstall will sort this out if you don't know where to find it.