VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mhenry676

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I support a program of my company that is an old DOS prog. I gave it a try in DOSBOX to avoid having to boot into DOS as the program req. EMS memory of which my computer has none available. Yes, I've tried the EMS setting under the memory TAB. AV is disabled for these locations.

As it opens files to read it will lock the file. I see the message Attempting to lock file within the program, but it just stops there. Normally, this procedure happens so fast, I never saw this message but it is coded to be displayed.

Also, I tried Starflight under DOSBOX. Game is fine, but I tried using a VGA patch that patches the COM file that opens the program to run in VGA. It says it cannot patch the file. This issue I can fix by booting into DOS, but the other issue makes it hard when I support after hours from home.

I've search these forums for answers, but nothing works. There is an old one about a CmdLineExt03.dll that is said to be installed by some games for anti-piracy, but that files does not exists anywhere on my system and the regsvr32 /u CmdLineExt03.dll command turns up can't find.

I've tried dosbox 0.63 and the CVS.

Any ideas?

PS New to dosbox. DOSBOX ROCKS! Got all my King's Quests working under XP! (5-7 is still tricky) Thank You

Reply 1 of 6, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hard to say what's going wrong with your program.
If you're handy with the debugger, get some debugger-enabled dosbox
and see why it doesn't continue. Maybe logging the int21s that happen
next to the file-lock thing, and tracing if something is going wrong there.

Reply 2 of 6, by mhenry676

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could it be due to 32-bit file access?

Reason why I asked, is I ran across something that said dosbox is not 32bit access capable. I also got Window 3.11 working, and I can't remember where but it lists the drives and says 16bit access for them.

Is this true?

Would running dosbox on a FAT32 partion make a difference instead of NTFS?

Reply 3 of 6, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It doesn't make any difference what kind of partition you run DosBox from, or an emulated program from, as dosbox doesn't emulate direct access to the disc, only to the files (unless you're using disc images, for eg. booting a real version of DOS within DosBox). Have you checked to make sure the read-only attribute isn't set on any of the files your emulated program is trying to open?

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yes, of course but there is still no 32-bit support 😀
Look into the Dosbox guides, there is a guide on how to set this up.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper