VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have ben using & tweaking dosbox the best I could with the help of D-fend, and I have found the following "bug" since it got fixed in more recent CVS builds. Up until the dosbox-20060116 update I could use the following combination of filters/scalers for some nice tweaking I really like, whenever I use:
-Render method ddraw
-Scale normal 2x
-Hardware scaling 1.30
(in windowed mode)
I get a very nice big enough window on my desktop in 1280x1024 with an interesting smoothing effect that enhances the graphics without deforming it or anything, it's just a slight blur that gives the effect of older low-res monitors, it's pretty accurate and I really like that effect, but now it seems gone from newer CVS builds, is there any other way to give similar effects?

Reply 4 of 15, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok now how do I type the desired dimensions, is it:
windowresolution=800*600 ?
and where exactly inside the dosboxc.conf do I add this line?
is it under [sdl] ?
or [render] ?
and does this works only with this month's latest builds or prior to the latest updates?

Reply 5 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

type inside DOSBox config -wc dosbox.conf to generate a new DOSBox configuration file.

Then, I assume is windowsize=WidhtXHeight
E.g. windowsize=800x600

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 9 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

writing a new config is a MUST whenever you use a new version or if you are into CVS, you should do it once in a while. If you are using patched CVS it is even important to learn how to access new features.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. You must type it inside DOSBox. Then, exit DOSBox and edit it using a text editor (like Notepad). The file is located inside your DOSBox folder.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 12 of 15, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to resize to the window size with the latest CVS, Very nice, the new rgb2x & scan2x look impressive even though they seem to become innacurate when used with windowresolution=800x600, they look better when used 2x or 3x.
And something went wrong with the soundblaster emulation, human voices seem to fall down to low pitch for some reason.

Reply 13 of 15, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using a recent CVS build - ykhwong's 14/02/06 I think it is, and the pitch drops when the CPU is overloaded. Are you using that? I think it's an intentional modification to avoid the audio breaking up, though it makes things sound very weird!

Reply 14 of 15, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using the latest CVS of Dosbox and I get the same issue, although I experience much less slowdowns in many games, I wish I could find a way to fix it tough. I am glad I can still use the hardware stretch, that was my primary concern so thanks to everyone who helped.

Reply 15 of 15, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way you guys are awesome, I read the daily updates of Dosbox CVS, and you are doing some awesome work, to re-experience the dos gaming days with so much quality/enhancement/compatibility is a real treat! kudos to you all! 😅