VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Kidding, kidding!

I still can't believe v0.65 is finally out.

But I wanted to ask about the zmbv codec. Why did you actually invent your own codec? It would be akward to send people a codec alongside a clip...

Why didn't you use something that already exists and common like XviD?

Thanks and keep on the good work!

Last edited by lwc on 2006-04-04, 19:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Xvid/Divx are lossy and very processor intensive.

ZMBV is lossless and because of that is not as processor intensive.

If movie recording turns out to be pretty popular I'm sure we could probably work up an automatic conversion from ZMBV to divx/xvid for the lazy folk. (Not as a feature in DosBox tho)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 11, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lwc wrote:

Would you recommend using ZMBV (is there even a standalone compressor for it?) for regular movies?

Only if it's a computer made movie with few colors, like games with 256 colors or less.

In other words, not for "real" movies.

Reply 4 of 11, by Spearhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lwc wrote:

Lazy or not, conversion takes away quality.

It doesn't take away more quality compared to saving the video as xvid directly in Dosbox because the used codec is _LOSSLESS_ as far as i understand, so no harm done.

Reply 5 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think there are several lossless codecs out there already. Some of them are even free but maybe not too common.

I heard sometime that there was a motion related PNG format/codec named MNG (Motion PNG).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 11, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't mind having to install the codec, and I would just re-encode it with indeo or divx if I were to send it to someone. Although its no different really.....not many people have the divx codec and probably would need to be sent it just the same.

Reply 9 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The codec can be removed in:
Device manager -> Audio Video stuff -> Videocodecs -> zmbv.dll

I wonder what that unnamed slidebar in the configuration panel does 😀

1+1=10

Reply 11 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lwc wrote:

I was talking about XviD but in any case if most people don't have it/them, why is the MPAA so worried about?

They really aren't worried about Divx/Xvid, not really. What they are worried about is locking up their media so you have to buy a new copy for each device instead of you converting it yourself. Until they figure out a way for the consumer to legally do this themselves while still using DRM then we will always have the RIAA/MPAA mucking up things.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline