VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm looking for games that use the Max's DAC, but any games that list the max as an option is worth mentioning.

Two I know of:
descent interplay
quarantine gametek

Reply 2 of 9, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're looking for a game that supports the Gravis Ultrasound MAX, you can add Under A Killing Moon to your list along with its sequel The Pandora Directive.

Also, I believe the DOS MOD player Cubic Player supports the GUS MAX, too.

Reply 3 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess any game with Miles Technology sound will do the trick...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here you go...

Mobygames list for Gravis Ultrasound

Mobygames list for Windows Sound System

The GUS MAX is hardware compatible with GUS and WSS. Standards that have to be emulated on a GUS MAX (like SB or GM) are not counted in these lists, only "native" sound chip support. Currently I'm not aware of any program that uses the WSS DAC and the GF1 simultaneously by default - except if you separatly select WSS for digital sound and GUS for music.

Reply 5 of 9, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If only that were the case zup. The problem with moby is they group max with classic/ace for the sake of the gf1 when it should be seperate because of the cs4231. The max, gus daughtercard and wss use the same codec(actually a cs4231 is all the original wss is), and though the daughercard & wss are configurable to the same address ranges, the max is located at 3xc(only the x is configurable). Not an issue for emulation purposes but as far as looking for game support, wss and max are distinct. correction: wss used an older chip by analog devices that the cs4231 is backwords compatible with.

Reply 6 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ih8registrations wrote:

The max, gus daughtercard and wss use the same codec(actually a cs4231 is all the original wss is), and though the daughercard & wss are configurable to the same address ranges, the max is located at 3xc(only the x is configurable).

Oh. Didn't know about the GUS MAX address range problem.

Somebody at Mobygames was quick on the uptake, there are changes in their sound device categories: The GUS section is now called "Gravis Ultrasound / ACE", and there is a new category for the GUS MAX (no games in there yet).

Reply 8 of 9, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The WSS codec(ad1848) is also used by the Ensoniq Soundscape. Based on number of games supported, I should be working on PAS and/or Adlib Gold DAC emulation first(I have the PAS SDK & Gold's DAC datasheet) but I'm partial to the GUS and emulating the cs4231 is at least a three for one;) I figure the emulation of such is good for getting around finicky SB support and emulation issues when they arise, and to a lesser extent, gaining 12/16bit output. I already have skeleton cs4231 emulation glued into the GUS handling; so far I've just logged game sound init sequences(ergo reason for my asking about MAX support).

Reply 9 of 9, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a WSS interface going as well now so I can use moby's WSS list. The Soundscape is a funky sucker; the base port is the same a standard midi and the codec is multiplexed with its cdrom access ports. This finageling isn't too bad but will have to wip up some Soundscape detection handling before DAC access will work. What I'm insterested in listing now are games with sb issues.