Common searches

About TCP/IP

Topic actions

First post, by ve2pkt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day,

I know I read in the wish-list dated 2002, that TCP/IP was not Game required. Agreed, I am a ammateur radio operator wich been doing Packet Radio since 1985, the sad new is most of the good packet radio programm are DOS, and yes on top of serial ports some require TCP/IP.

I was wondering if in a near futur there would be a posibility of having TCP/IP capability in DosBox. I found the programm few weeks agoo, and experimenting with it. I do appreciate all the nice work that was put in DosBox.

Thanks for reading.

Jean,
VE2PKT

Reply 1 of 4, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an open source program so it's certainly a possibility. However as it says, it's not needed for games. The devs in general put priority on game support above everything else since that is the primary purpose of the emulator.

Reply 2 of 4, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well having windows working in dosbox was never required for dos games to work, but support for it was put into dosbox from an emulation perspective. Dont see anything wrong with adding tcp/ip.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Windows 3.x support lets other games play that don't work correctly in todays Windows OS 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, the 16bit Windows 3.x games that support TCP/IP and that also run too fast in other emulators are the types of games that hopefully DosBox will support someday.

I see TCP/IP support as being on the list but nowhere near a priority.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline