VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been cheking D-fend's website but there are not any recent updates. Does anybody know if it is still on development? I've been seing people are creating other frontends, but so far D-fend is still a personal favourite.

Reply 1 of 9, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine as well, but Mabus Raeen has not responded to my e-mails about D-Fend since nov 2005, unfortunately...

Last edited by rcblanke on 2006-05-02, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's quite annoying since frontends do have to be updated to fully work with 0.65.
Right now there should be a BIG notice on the dosbox homepage and in all the dosbox forums that frontends need to be updated/D-Fend is broken!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 9, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Broken? Far from it. I still use D-fend and with some minor additions (adding resolutions, scalers and custom settings for overscan and etc) it works just fine. However agreed - an update would be great.

What I'm worried though is that an update will kill my profiles, so I hope if he does do it that the compatibility remains with the current D-fend. I did too much work on my list of games to just scrap it.

Reply 5 of 9, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OuchOfDeath wrote:

There are bugs in D-Fend and 0.65 now though. One is if you set the fullscreen option in D-Fend, Dosbox (0.65) will freeze starting up.

No, sorry, but that's not a bug in D-Fend, rather in Dosbox and probably directly related to SDL. FWIW, it works fine for me (ATI mobility 9700).

That said, there are some bugs in D-Fend of course. One being a rename in a profile resulting in multiple profiles, no true booter games support, a few problems with the 'accept all defaults' button, an issue where the game exe is executed for each and every mounting point that you have chosen, and a couple more minor issues.

And indeed, the differences and additional options that were introduced in Dosbox v0.65's config file are not fully supported in D-Fend yet, as well.

Reply 6 of 9, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

avatar_58, it's not the first time I hear that current D-Fend can be tweaked to accept some of the new DOSBox features, something I assume it's done by adding / changing lines in dfend.ini . Can you tell me the *exact* changes I need to do?

Reply 7 of 9, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:

avatar_58, it's not the first time I hear that current D-Fend can be tweaked to accept some of the new DOSBox features, something I assume it's done by adding / changing lines in dfend.ini . Can you tell me the *exact* changes I need to do?

Nothing nearly that drastic, I just edit the options in the "dynamic options" dialogue. Just add in whatever features from Dosbox 0.65 you need. As for what changes, that depends on what you use. Go through the dosbox.conf file and see which scalers and the like are missing and add them using the dynami config dialogue (its on the toolbar under extra - change dynamic options) then add them in by clicking the section and typing them on the right.

You can also add in CVS changes and anything else via the "Custom sets" tab in each game's profile. The format is-

[SECTION]
OPTION=VALUE

You get the section name and option from the dosbox.conf obviously.

I've personally no need for a new dfend except to make my life easier 😉 For now though I find it works just as well as it did with dosbox 0.63, just requires a little tweaking.

Reply 9 of 9, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😮 i sent him an email shortly after 0.65 was released... it was telling him of the new release and asked him whether he was making an update or not.

i received no reply... maybe the email address on his site gets a bazillion spam emails per second?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website