VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I upgraded from 0.63 yestoday.

Ever since, whenever I use Dosbox in full screen I come back to Windows to find all my carefully arranged icons are completely messed up. Full screen apps should not be doing this - 0.63 certainly didn't.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

Reply 1 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox doesn't explicitly do anything to the icons - it's almost definitely a side-effect of switching to a different video mode. Not sure how to fix it - maybe try running in a window instead?

Reply 3 of 16, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Whenever you change the desktop resolution in Windows, it does that... This is a Windows feature (try to change desktop resolution manually e.g. from 1024*768 to 640*480 and back).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 16, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You mean you manually move icons around right? Well windows tends to 'auto arrange' occasionally when the resolution changes. Thats why I don't bother and simply use "arrange by type" because its not worth fighting with.

Reply 5 of 16, by CombatGold1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It can't be a windows feature .. many other applications (mainly games) that use a lower resolution than my desktop one don't move the icons around randomly. Why should dosbox be different?

I'll look at the fullscreen setting; and no I don't want to play in a window. I don't fancy having a 320x200 game in the corner of a 1280x960 desktop 😁

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

Reply 6 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

with Dosbox 0.56 it chnaged the setting of fullresolution= (under [sdl]). Might be you need to put in fullresolution=original or a fixed one (1280x960).
Are you sure you didn't change anything else as well, besides new Dosbox version. New display driver or somethng like that?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 16, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I upgraded from 0.63 yestoday.

Ever since, whenever I use Dosbox in full screen I come back to Windows to find all my carefully arranged icons are completely messed up. Full screen apps should not be doing this - 0.63 certainly didn't.

Anyone else having this problem?

it only happens to me sometimes when dosbox crashes at a low resolution game. then i can find my desktop icons around the upper left corner of my desktop. this happens to opened windows in the backround to, but i think this problem has nothing to do with dosbox itself.

Reply 9 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, my icons rearrange alot when doing my compatibility testing of Windows games. Resolution changes and of course the icons automagically rearrange.

I suppose turning off Auto-arrange might fix it but I've never tested this.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are also programs out there that can save and restore your icon arrangements on mode changes. I think Powerstrip (entechtaiwan.com) may be one of them.

Reply 12 of 16, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CombatGold1 wrote:

It can't be a windows feature ..

It IS a Windows feature and there are other application which do this. I believe it is appliations which actually resize the desktop in order to cover it with their window, instead of applications which create hardware surfaces separate from the desktop, but I'm really not into the technical stuff so I should shut up. There are applications which have this effect, though.

Blame Windows. I use OS X. 😉

Reply 13 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i would have to say that it changes the resoloution before actually starting the program.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 16 of 16, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does Iconlock "fix" stuff like Rainmeter's meters? Because they're affected by this problem as well - when the resolution changes they get shifted all over the place.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem