VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gamer4life

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These demos by far are part of PC history. Sit back and enjoy these pieces of vintage code! I have never seen prettier plasma even to date, thats pretty awesome for VGA! Future Crew was one of the top demo creators in the 90's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Crew This is my Tribute to preserving the PC history I grew up with as a kid, enjoy 😁 !

Attachments

• Filename
    unreal.zip
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Downloads
    261 downloads
    File comment
    Future Crew's Unreal (1992, demo, 1st at Assembly 92) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_%28demo%29
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    panic.zip
    File size
    903.8 KiB
    Downloads
    253 downloads
    File comment
    Interesting demo, a little buggy,(1992, demo, 2nd at The Party 92)
    File license
  • Filename
    2ndreal.zip
    File size
    1.99 MiB
    Downloads
    262 downloads
    File comment
    Second Reality was by far the best demo of the 90's! (1993, 1st at Assembly 93) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Reality
    File license

Reply 1 of 14, by Gamer4life

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh by the way, ervery one of these works and plays through to the end. Keep in mind these programs sometimez utilized hardware microcode hacks so dont be surprised if there is a slight glitch every now and then, but they will for the most part work. They wont damage DosBox or your system in any way. I love the sound of 8 bit stereo, hehe!

Reply 5 of 14, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, yes, these lovely old classics. You know, I think the DOSBox guys should add a Demo Compatibility listing to the DOSBox website. All the tweaks present in these sort of programs provide an emulator with the ultimate test. If it can run these sort of programs perfectly, it'll run any game.

Reply 6 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I wouldn't count on that statement
Demo's don't need file acces.
Rarely need mouse acces.
etc.
etc

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 14, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

I wouldn't count on that statement
Demo's don't need file acces.

Only on the inital loading of a segment or the demo as a whole, depending on the approach taken when writing it. As far as I know, DOS games only tend to access the hard drive when loading a level, and nothing after that until the end of the level.

Besides, with all the sound, video, and other programming tricks used by the authors of demos, you're probably more-likely to weed out bugs and missing features in those areas using demos than if you use games. Remember, demo authors tried to make every last CPU cycle count for something and pull off as many interesting tricks as possible with the available hardware, including the sound and video.

I've got one demo that doesn't work under DOSBox because it needs VGA hardware functions that DOSBox doesn't have yet. Shall I post a zip of it?

Reply 9 of 14, by PavelJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

maybe you could implement different vgas one day. something like vga-normal and vga-full, which would implement everything possible. the speed decrease will most likely be irrelevant in a few yours. but i understand that this also most unlikely before, let's guess, dosbox 0.92. :)

Reply 11 of 14, by Gamer4life

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It wasent uncommon though for DIY PC vendors to use demos like these to shock 😲 and awe 😮 potential customers as to the ability of the machine. They are a good meens of testing a machines coping ability with graphics, cpu, memory and sound. They are almost like benchmarks withought metrics. However as mentioned before they don't neccisarrily test peripherals, or the file system. Alot of the effects included in demos where implemented in games, hence the term demo as a meens of showing what could be done in a game 😀 .

Reply 12 of 14, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Demos were a hell incompatible by times, just look at their
requirements (no memory manager etc.). That's why games
mostly used similar effects, not the same, simply because they
wanted to sell the games.
Nevertheless, many demos already run under dosbox, and even
with the dynamic core.

Reply 13 of 14, by Gamer4life

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah your probably right, but as long as you have the hardware listed, your good to go. Usually most demos where written for Soundblaster PCI or Gravis sound cards and could use generic VGA devices. Best bet though is to run em on native hardware. Native DOS era hardware is hard to come by these days and so there is DOSBox 😁 .

Reply 14 of 14, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I discovered DOSBox I was amazed how well it handled the old scene demos, given that some of them use really nasty tricks to get the maximum performance out of the machine. And the GUS emulation helps a lot, since watching demos without a GUS is a rather frustrating experience 🤣

Some weird demos work even better under DOSBox, or has anybody ever got Optic Nerve running on a real machine? (I could watch it once on my old 386SX, it crashed in the middle and I never got it working again on any system in 10 years, yet in DOSBox it runs without a hitch 😁)

The VGA emulation in DOSBox is good enough for at least 90% of the VGA register tweaks, for the rest of them, DOSBox would have to emulate a typical old VGA CRT monitor as well (which means much work just to get a handful of demos running).