VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Steve Adler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have dosbox 6.3 installed, and I can't figure out how to modify my config.com file. I am running xp home with 512 mb of RAM), but I get an error when I try to open a program under DOSBox because I don't have enough memory.

Let's say I'm trying to run a program in the folder c:\game, and dosbox is in c:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63 with the config file in the DOSBox-0.63 directory. Do I move the config file to the game directory? How do I modify the config file to get 640 kb of conventional memory and 384 kb of extended memory? Are there step-by-step instructions available somewhere?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply 2 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Guides:

DOSBox Guides
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

As for moving/copying the config-file, I use 2 config files:

1. The main dosbox.conf is kept i the DOSBox-program installation directory.

I usually don't change anything in that, but keep it just as it was when DOSBox was installed.
  2. A game-specific dosbox.conf with just the changes needed to get a game to run.

Each game I install, gets its own directory somewhere in my documents folder. This directory contains a very small dosbox.conf (like 8-9 lines) with game specific settings (core, cycles, autoexec).

The directory also contains a small CMD-file to launch DOSBox. The important thing here is, that the CMD-file should have its working directory in the same directory where the small dosbox.conf is located. That way, DOSBox will look in the local dosbox.conf file (with the game-specific settings) before it looks in the main dosbox.conf in the DOSBox directory.

Here - and example: Re: Runtime error 002 at 0004:2C46.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> As for moving/copying the config-file, I use 2 config files:

He doesn't want to change dosbox.conf, but config.com which
is neither possible nor usefull anyways. That's why the hints
from ykhwong might help, especially using an up to date version
of dosbox.

Reply 4 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I assume that config.com is a typo. I know of config.sys and dosbox.conf, but config.com has eluded me so far.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So you really meant config.sys (like in the ms-dos era). No. DOSBox doesn't have config.sys nor autoexec.bat files. So editting them isn't possible. This is due to the fact that DOSBox has its own internal parameters, like some of them that could be specified using the config.sys/autoexec.bat files in ms-dos (buffers, files, fcbs, etc). There aren't no config.sys/autoexec.bat files in DOSBox for mess with anymore, so we could guess that using DOSBox is even easier (configuration wise) that real ms-dos (no need for messing with config.sys/autoexec.bat).

Hope this will help you. If not, state clearly what is troubling you.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 8, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, the two are not related. In normal usage DosBox does not need or use a config.sys. Also, when a game says it doesn't have enough memory, sometimes it's actually because it's got too much and it's getting confused. That's where loadfix comes in (it uses up some of the memory before the game loads).