VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have recently installed suse linux 10.1 on my system (parallel to the previously installed winXP).

Unfortunately, I'm a real linux n o v i c e.

I know there's a dosbox version for linux, and I'd like to give it a try. But the available rpm-packages are described as "fedora"-packages. Is it possible to install the linux-dosbox-version with my suse distribution?

😕 😕 😕

Reply 1 of 12, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of course it is possible. If there are no rpms you can use, you will have to compile it on your own. This isnt as hard as it sounds. See this link for further instructions: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … =BuildingDOSBox

Reply 2 of 12, by PavelJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

have you tried to search for dosbox with the package manager (you?) in yast?
a search on rpmfind.net brought me to this rpm (http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/opensuse/factor … .65-3.i586.html), which looks like it's part of opensuse 10.1.1.

Reply 6 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt he wants 0.63.....which is the only Suse specific package I see anywhere.

A Fedora RPM should do but he'll probably need to know how to install dependencies since his package manager won't be handling the install.

He'd probably be alot better off just compiling it himself. I would do it for him but I've got Ubuntu on this laptop instead of the bloat that is Suse. 😉

Actually...he could probably download ykhwong's Linux ver. I also believe ykhwong mentions the dependencies that he'll need to install as well but I've never used ykhwong's linux ver (I compile my builds for Linux).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 12, by PavelJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, the link i posted pointed to a 0.65 rpm for opensuse, but it's suddenly gone... strange...

but according to novell they really still include 0.63 in suse 10.1 (http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/ … nux/dosbox.html)

Reply 8 of 12, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, thank you very much.

I have found out that dosbox IS INCLUDED in my suse 10.1 distro afterall. I only had to install the package from my dvd because it is not part of the standard suse installation.

It's version 0.63 (with xp I'm using a patched 0.65 cvs build). At least I'm able to play most dos games from linux also! I will look for the 0.65 rpm in the internet.

By the way: scummvm (0.82) is also part of the suse distro.

This is really good news because my plans are to use linux as my default os, moving xp to the second row.

Reply 9 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Suse is fine but kind of bloated. If you want to try something alot better but still user-friendly for Windows folks then try Ubuntu next.

After that if you want to dig a little deeper (but probably not worth it) then try out a Slackware distro.

Reply 10 of 12, by PavelJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'll second that. suse is fine as long as everything runs smoothly, but once you run into trouble, it's can get messy. maybe it got better, but manual editing of config files and usage of yast can cause problems.

instead of a slack-distro you might as well have a look at arch linux (http://archlinux.org/). their package managment is one of the best.

Reply 11 of 12, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your suggestions, but think I will stay with suse, at least for a while. The installation process has cost me three days ... right now everything is working fine, so I don't want to mess up my os again.

Reply 12 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, stick with Suse awhile...learn the ins and outs....but you'll definetly be moving on. 😉 Right now for a Windows user moving away from Suse a Ubuntu distro is the best bet......things are getting better and better so who knows what it'll be like in a year or two.

I've never liked Fedora Core because it always felt "beta" to me (which it is since it's a Redhat testing ground). Suse definetly felt like the MS of the Linux world (not as bad of course but getting there), It's good to hear that they are finally putting ScummVm and DosBox on the CD/DVD's now tho.