VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GiGaBiTe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I followed the tutorial on how to create drive images and mount them in dosbox, and that worked. But No matter what config I try, I cannot get anything to format a disk image.

fdisk from freedos reports that there is a 0 MB hard drive
fdisk in PCDos 7 just crashes
and fdisk in MSD 6.22 crashes with the error "run-time error R6003 - Integer divide by zero." (it used to at least get into the menu, now it instantly dies.)

The status window reports this:

BIOS INT14: port 3 does not exist.
BIOS INT14: port 2 does not exist.
XGA: read from port 0xE2E0, len 1
XGA: read from port 0x92E8, len 2

I'm fairly sure that I have the drive paramaters correct, and it's set to -fs none.

mount x c:\dosbox\drives\images
imgmount c "x:\c.img" -t hdd -size 512, 63, 16, 162 -fs none

It's an 80 MB image created with that BXimage program.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Reply 1 of 5, by GiGaBiTe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, i managed to fix the crashbug by doing a fresh install of DosBox, but I still cannot fdisk the drive, as DosBox doesn't seem to support "rebooting" and crashes or freezes when MSD6.22 or FreeDos try to restart.

Reply 2 of 5, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was told once on this board that for some reason the MS-DOS install doesn't work properly under DOSBox. Try instead to install from QEMU and then use the resulting diskfile with DOSBox.

Reply 3 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Neville wrote:

I was told once on this board that for some reason the MS-DOS install doesn't work properly under DOSBox. Try instead to install from QEMU and then use the resulting diskfile with DOSBox.

Where precisely was that said? Could you go to details? If it is so , it would be nice to fix it.... This is a thing DOSBOX should manage...
I cannot remember whether I tried it or not (it is possible I was booting a floppy image and did not bother with the whole MS DOS installation...).

Edit: And I know for sure that I used FDISK in DOSBOX succesfully (as written in DOSBOX Guides)...

Edit (rebooting):

4. After DOS booted I started FDISK and created a primary DOS partition. When FDISK wanted to reboot later, it crashed/froze (depending on DOS version). I ignored it and ended DOSBOX (it is minor nuisance but FDISK already did its work).

5. I again restarted DOSBOX as in the point 3., but instead of FDISK I used: FORMAT C: /S
This formatted the disc and made it bootable.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yup, fdisk DOES work, but the 6.22 Setup does not. Me and someone else discussed this some time ago in the developers forum I think (I didn't believe him and tested it and found it not working as well - his original problem was the image size AFAIR)

Edit:
Hmm can't find the original thread I was thinking about, but here is one:
Problem installing to HDD image file.

(and I made small mistake by just stating 6.22 doesn't like he image, I meant of course the 6.22 Setup 😀)